Accessory (RA) 1:
I received this box for a review from DD Allwood Thailand. DD
Allwood produces watch and jewelry boxes since 1993 in its factory in
Before writing this review, I found another DD Allwood Box in our household: a double decker jewelry box of my wife. Now on to the box I received from DD Allwood in April 2002.
One can write a lot about a product, but my style of review always includes a lot of pictures. Not because I am too lazy to type, no, because I feel many pictures with legends are ideal and easier to "digest". Thus I included my review text into bold legends below the pictures.
1. The 12-watchbox arrives in a white plastified good looking outer carton box
2. The carton box is designed like a Girard-Perregaux or Jaeger-LeCoultre outer Watch box with a clever front lid that allows easy access to the content. Since the box is quite heavy, about 3.5 kg including the packing or ca. 3 kg net, that front lid is a good idea that allows convenient unpacking
3. And this is how the box looks inside. The lining is light brown in the box and tray and the same non tarnishing synthetic suede is used for the pillows. In close-ups to come you will see that the quality of the lining is very high compared to cheap boxes, not only is it a good material, but the manufacturing is immaculate too
4. Here is a picture with the upper tray lifted off. At the head of those trays are compartments for small parts, e.g. rings, bracelet links, date pushers etc.
5. Populating the box with watches was fun, 6 bracelet watches, 3 black leather strap watches for the lower strap compartment and three brown leather strap watches for the removable upper tray
6. The "populated" watchbox from the front with the upper tray removed
7. The watchbox storing 12 watches
8. This is the box from a different view storing 12 watches
9. The manufacturing quality of the box is very high, inside and outside
10. This is a detail of the 2 small compartments on the upper tray
11. A picture showing the immaculate lacquering of the box: each piece is sprayed with up to 15 layers of polyurethane with hand polishing and sanding in between
12. Also the brass hinges are top notch. I also observed that on my smaller DD Allwood box
13. This is the right hand hinge, the box is fully open here at around 92 degrees to safely stabilize the cover when open
14. The pillows have an ideal size. I have a small wrist of 16.5 cm circumference. My bracelet watches will squeeze the pillows a bit when closed, but I guess that pillow size is a perfect compromise for different bracelet lengths
15. I was curious to see how the cover of the second tray was treated, because the manufacturer normally show great creativity in avoiding to decorate invisible areas. But no surprise here, the same lining materials is used as inside the box: non tarnishing synthetic suede. Very well done
16. The box is really highly polished. I read on the DD Allwood website www.ddallwood.co.th that they polish and lacquer the boxes in 15 layers. I try to capture the beauty of the wood, but the box is so glossy, that it is almost impossible to get a shot without reflections. This is the best shot from the wood texture I could get and it can not fully describe the great materials and finish of the boxes
Reto Castellazzi, May 2002
For further details, ordering information and prices please see www.ddallwood.co.th, I included below some details from the FAQ page of that website:
IA. Question > Tell me something about your company and products?
--modified by Reto Castellazzi at Wed, May 15, 2002,