Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Sticky Post Musings....

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
BobbyMike  
Current mood:
June 17, 2011 05:30AM
Montres Incassable

It’s generally considered true that the first “work” wristwatches, were in fact pocket watches pressed into service by military personnel first in the Anglo-Boer War (although is has been also said that Girard-Perregaux was asked to equip members of the German Imperial Naval with similar pieces as early as the 1880s). By the time The Great War started in 1914 there were a variety of wristwatches available for soldiers to use, or at least if they were Allied troops as German troops were largely issued pocket watches.

Prior to this time, wristwatches (actually called wristlets) were reserved for women and considered a short-lived fancy. Men had considered them too feminine to wear, but with so many returning soldiers bringing their trench watches home, that perception changed.

Hans Wilsdorf, the founder and director of Rolex was an early, and vocal, champion of the wristwatch. His company not only received the very first wristwatch Chronometer awards from the School of Horology in Bienne in 1910, they also received the first Class “A” Certificate of Precision from the Kew Observatory in England in 1914. By 1926 they were producing the world’s first waterproof watch (The Oyster).

Less than 10 years later 65% of the watches produced in Switzerland were wristwatches.

Rolex was the first watch company to focus their attentions on specific segments of civilian watch users, first with the Submariner for divers, than the Explorer, the GMT pilots watch and finally the MilGauss for scientists and others who worked around strong magnetic fields.

The way was now paved for other watch manufacturers to start producing tool watches in earnest. So they did and still do. It can be wonderful to spend time just looking at case backs of watches made in the 1960's and 70's and look at the various claims of durability engraved there...

(pics randomly snatched from the aether)

There are many professions outside of the military that also required timepieces that are rugged and accurate.

Geologists, engineers, police, pilots, outdoor guides, firefighters, paramedics and EMTs, doctors and nurses, oil refinery workers, commercial divers, combat photographers, and many more not listed have specific needs in a wristwatch and quite a few companies (Think Sinn, Luminox, Rolex, Seiko, Casio, etc.) now produce watches that meet those needs.

Many people, like myself, look first to a diving watch as they are designed to be rugged and water resistant. Because of my active life, both at work and at play, my daily wearer is a Seiko SKX173, rated for 200 meters with the automatic 7S26 movement. I simply don't have to worry about it while I work.

I bought it used for less than $100 and have never regretted it. It's consistently accurate, keeps a good power reserve, and most importantly has proven itself to be one tough watch. Is it the perfect work watch? Hardly, but for it's price it's been an excellent bargain and can be considered a great PMWF choice.

What's your favorite work watch, the one you reach for when things look dicey?

(note Reto: I found that this great post deserves to be a sticky at the top of the list)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 08:01AM by Reto.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sticky Post Musings....

BobbyMike873June 17, 2011 05:30AM

That's a great post Michael. To be very honest, if things look really dicey >>> Jpeg Attachments

Reto269October 26, 2011 07:57AM

Great topic ! Thumbs up! (n/t)

IF264June 17, 2011 09:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates