Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Adventures in battery changing...Eek!

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
James T. Kirk©  
Current mood:
March 18, 2013 04:12PM
My type 100 had it's numbers fading out, when I pushed the illumination button. Sure thing the battery was reaching the end of it's life, so I ordered a couple of 1216. Not that I need more then one, but it's cheaper to buy 2 then one Crazy! Loco!

I expected a straightforward battery change, just remove the battery under it's tab and put a new in it's place. Shock and awe.... Blushing First a metal plate, then a rubber/plastic kind of distance ring with nobs on it. Then the battery was enclosed on his own plastic island under metal braces! 4 Tiny screws (don't loose them!!!!), then undo the braces, one with a little tab keeping it locked, and then finally the Maxell (according to the inside of the back changed in '08) could be taken out. According to my battery tester, there was 2.6 V left, just enough for the digits to work, but not enough for the light at the same time... If I remember right, the new cell was 3.5 V or something. OK, in the same order back.... No digits!!! Oops!
Maybe I had to put everything back in place to get digits? Nope, still nothing I am angry! Once again back to the start. I could take the whole movement out and took the screws out again. Under the battery there was a little rubber ring, more like a round plate with a hole in the middle. I turned it around, there seemed to be a bit of silver where it touched the bottom of the battery. Nothing I could scrape off or something so I just flipped it upside down. Put everything together and all of a sudden: Digits!!Cheers! ( sunday, 1-1-95 it said. OK for me, I had a starting point! Carefully put everything back together, puzzling how the rubber ring sat on top of the battery 'container'. Finally everything together and checking the buttons, everything worked A-OK! Went to the internet to find the exact right time and set the watch 18 years and 3+ month to the future and done! Innocent

Sorry for the last picture, I did not want the flash to mess up the dial, but now it's unsharp.... Oops!

--
Jim©
So many hobbies, so little money...

state of the collection
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Adventures in battery changing...Eek! Image Attachments URL

James T. Kirk©336March 18, 2013 04:12PM

Re: Adventures in battery changing...Eek!

WilliamCabrera75June 17, 2013 12:06PM

Re: by the way what are the precautions to be taken while changing the batteries and what are the chances...

James T. Kirk©85June 17, 2013 12:26PM

Most movements need to be reset after a battery change. I guess that's what's the AC marking is for

Micha86March 19, 2013 10:36PM

Did you see those markings in my pictures?

James T. Kirk©99March 19, 2013 11:15PM

Re: Did you see those markings in my pictures?

WilliamCabrera63June 08, 2013 12:06PM

The AC marking can be seen in your 2nd picture (at the bottom) smile (n/t)

Micha92May 26, 2013 12:11PM

A "bit" late, but thank you Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off (n/t)

James T. Kirk©70May 26, 2013 01:14PM

I missed your question, I thought I'd answer for future reference Laughing (n/t)

Micha57June 12, 2013 08:55PM

Nice work Johan Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto72March 19, 2013 06:22AM

Thanks, Reto! Wink (n/t)

James T. Kirk©103March 19, 2013 10:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates