Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Flat Reto visits Denver Colorado!

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
October 30, 2009 06:05PM
So the story begins right after strolling through one of the most spectacular August's I've had the pleasure of living. Not only did I celebrate my 38th year on the sphere, but I had just come off the heels of my first meet, AND got voted WOTM, AND I also nabbed not one, but two tasty watches for my collection. The PRS-22 Speedbird III, and the DOXA Sub 1000 Professional. So you could say it was a month to remember. But not to stop there, my number also got called to be the next host for Flat Reto.

That, my friends, is the proverbial icing on the cake.

So along comes the beginning of September and traveling on it's season changing winds is certain Swiss timepiece that lands at my door. Flat Reto has arrived.

Like the tiki from the Brady family's Hawaiian vacation...it brought a dark harbinger. Or maybe I was just overdrawn on the karma account from the previous month, but September did not go so well. I had a wonderous vacation planned out for me and my guest....paint the town red, see the sights, blow the roof off. But it was not to be. As you know my inner ear decided it didnt want to play nice and literally threw me into a loop. So my report is a little before, and a little after all that nonsense.

I thought a proper family reunion would be just the thing to start things off. FR meet Techno Sphere. My first lusted after watch, owned from new circa 1983.

swatch family reunion

Next up, is a stunning sunrise bicycle ride into work along part of the vast Colorado bicycle trail network. I work south east of Denver about 20 miles in Aurora. No futzing with these pictures...straight out of my point and shoot cheap digi. If you have not started a day outside with the cold morning air on your face watching the sunrise scorch the sky...do it. Tomorrow.

Morning fire

Sunrise

On my way home, I decided to explore some bike path I've never been on that looped me over to the north-west side of Denver. On the way I was treated to some nice fall color and decent view of the front range. FR and I clocked about 70 miles on the bicycle that day. The only gas we used was courtesy of Chipolte.

Swatch Brooks

Bleriot trail side Sand Creek

Front Range

Now being that FR's landing in Denver would put it's mileage just over 50,000 I thought some more "milestones" would be in order. I had three main goals, but alas only conquered one of them.

I had petitioned The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) located in Boulder for an audience to the atomic clock. It is after all one of the most accurate watches in the world. A little unwieldy on the wrist though. But although sending several emails and numerous phone calls, I was never replied to once. Strike 1.

The next attempt at a milestone was to hop on the Triumph and ride FR up the highest paved road in North America to the top of Mt. Evans for some oxygen deprivation at 14,240 ft. NOPE, they closed it early this year due to park budget cutbacks. Strike 2.

I would not be deterred on my final stop, come hell or high water, I would take FR to the the mile high marker on the steps of the Colorado State capital building. 4 times in fact. See, the geologic survey marker (one of them...more on that later) is on the west steps of the capital. This is "the" spot in Denver to pull out the soap box and spout. If it's nice out, you can bet there is someone planted there ranting, preaching, campaigning or the like. So I took a gamble that if I headed down there on a crappy, cold, and rainy day...I would have it to myself. (I find most blow hards aren't convicted enough to brave the storms.) BINGO. Totally vacant.

Denver, known as the "Mile High City", had an elevation marker (5280ft.) set into the capital steps way back when, said to mark the actual mile mark above sea level. But like I said, that was way back when they measured with strings and rocks, and they guessed it round about the 15th step. Fast forward a bit, technology advances and they can measure more accurately, and so decide to move it to the 18th step and engrave the 15th step for historical sake. Well...guess what? Just like the computer your staring at right now, the technology was outdated as soon as it hit the assembly line. SO, a few years ago they called out the survey crew again, and now believe there should be an "even more" accurate maker placed into the 13th step. I ran FR up and down ALL the steps several times, so I am sure it hit a mile high at some point.

FR just shy of 5280

one mile high

Co. Capital

I also had my "fixer" with me on one of the failed mile marker attempts. We shot some pictures looking west from our capital towards the Denver City and County Building.

Noella Capital steps

Not to be totally without an ace up the sleeve, we travelled to Fort Collins in northern Colorado for a tour of the New Belgium Brewery. Most famous for Fat Tire Ale, this is a worker owned brewery that is one hell of a cool place. I don't believe I have ever seen a place where the employees seem to be so passionate about what they are doing. They are very worker, and fun oriented and have very deep roots into the bicycle culture, and art. OH, and they brew some beer too. I was in heaven. This place was crammed full of bicycles, hand made artwork on every wall, and a heady aroma of hoppy goodness. Totally free, an hour long, beer samples the whole way, and a full tasting bar at the end after you descend their spiral funnel slide from the upper level of the building.

New Belgium Brewery

Tour De Fat original

Mosaic

Tapped

Air Stream

Yes, I double watched it that day. Surprising that few people will comment on a solo watch, but wear two and everyone is suddenly interested in what the deal is. BTW, the "other" watch is my Debaufre GMT.

In the end I wish I could have visited some of the other places, but what a really cool thing this Flat Reto. A torch I was happy to carry, and even prouder to pass on. Maybe next time we'll get matching tattoos.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Flat Reto visits Denver Colorado! Image Attachments URL

jinxed886October 30, 2009 06:05PM

Clapping! Nice tour, and it that's not a smile that could melt any Daddy's heart I don't know what is! (n/t)

turner403October 31, 2009 05:46PM

Clapping! Nice tour, and if that's not a smile that could melt any Daddy's heart I don't know what is! (n/t)

turner322October 31, 2009 09:14PM

thanks for sharing your flat Reto tour Smile (n/t)

UVox173October 31, 2009 09:18AM

Great tour Brad and the shot with Noella is priceless! "It's so high" her hands say Wink (n/t)

Reto165October 31, 2009 07:31AM

Great tour, Brad!Thumbs up! Fat tire, MMMMMmm Mmm good!Smile (n/t)

Nuvolari186October 31, 2009 06:12AM

High quality as usual The Dude abides! Thumbs up! (n/t)

mattman222October 31, 2009 05:38AM

Nice report in the end. Like you, I had grand plans for FR when he visited Madison...

Chris L213October 31, 2009 01:39AM

Visited the New Belgium Brewery earlier this year! Great Pics

S.Hudson183October 31, 2009 01:36AM

Thanks for the great visit to your area Brad.Thumbs up! Cool bike also.Thumbs up! (n/t)

Mark C.209October 31, 2009 01:19AM

Thanks Mark!! It's no original Yeti, but it gets about! (n/t)

jinxed210October 31, 2009 04:27PM

WOWCool Fabulous photo series! My fave...

yuta170October 31, 2009 12:40AM

Thanks!! It's a Rivendell Bleriot actually...

jinxed262October 31, 2009 04:25PM

SmileThank you and your daughter for the great shots. (n/t)

Alan J200October 31, 2009 12:30AM

Nice shots (n/t)

Johnny Sako183October 30, 2009 11:52PM

Nice job Brad! (n/t)

DJM175October 30, 2009 10:39PM

Rocky Mountain High

RichLinx193October 30, 2009 10:10PM

Thumbs up! for those Multiple pictures in this post Cool (n/t)

John N188October 30, 2009 09:22PM

Hey Brad, welcome back and that is an great and awesome post ! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF179October 30, 2009 08:31PM

Great report! We want to see Flat Reto burried in snow now!

Dre199October 30, 2009 07:39PM

As you wish. And yes we did 48 hrs straight. BUT... Image Attachments URL

jinxed190October 30, 2009 08:57PM

VERY COOL!!Smile (n/t)

Mark C.161October 31, 2009 01:20AM

Cool, thanks for the snowy pics!

Dre194October 30, 2009 09:14PM

Awesome report Brad Thumbs up! (n/t)

PaulGeo223October 30, 2009 07:37PM

Thumbs up!Thumbs up! (n/t)

Allan Zirlin209October 30, 2009 07:35PM

awesome pictorial.. (n/t)

anjizkit196October 30, 2009 07:11PM

Thanks for the visit! Glad you're on the mend. Laughing Thumbs up! (n/t)

Anonymous User189October 30, 2009 07:08PM

Great pics, beautiful scenery & cute daughter, cool rig (your handle bars are on backwards Wink) (n/t)

Dave P257October 30, 2009 06:40PM

Thumbs up! Great Visit, and I dig the pictures >>>

Paul December188October 30, 2009 06:25PM

Very cool visit!!, But typical of the quality we normally get from you Thumbs up!Cheers!. BTW,

JohnnyT182October 30, 2009 06:24PM

Nice pics and report, Brad! Clapping! And BEER! Thumbs up! (n/t)

MCV172October 30, 2009 06:13PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates