Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Travel Report Flat Reto does North Mississippi.

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
Anonymous User
July 27, 2009 06:44AM
First, let me apologize for not giving this Flat Reto photo essay the time and attention it deserves. Compared to the fine Flat Reto travelogs we've seen so far, I'm definitely gonna come up short. Frowning, Sad I had good intentions, but this is the busy time of the year for me, so it was a struggle.

We'll start off with a photo you've seen before..

Yup, Flat Reto's strap was way too short to fit me fat wrist. EEK! I sorted through the many good suggestions y'all offered, and judged that Bock's advice to "Wind some steelwire thru da hole and buckle.." was easiest and most practical. I actually used a heavy-duty plastic-coated wire tie, and it worked a treat. Thumbs Up Thanks Bock!

A wide shot of Shamrock Hollow;

That photo is, I confess, a couple of years old. The place looks quite a bit different now, thanks in no small part to..

..my pardner 3M (Main Man Melvin) and that li'l Chinese dozer.

Ahhh.. no comment on that one. ROTFLMAO!

One thing that may stand out to those unfamiliar with my area of the country is the great chasm between.. well, the "haves" and the "have nots". Mississippi is the poorest state in the nation, yet you also have plenty of fine antebellum homes, and farms like..

..Grandview Plantation. This is a 2,500+ acre operation, situated 'bout 3 or 4 miles from me, as the crow flies.

That white vinyl fence stretches 2.4 miles along MS 310, and 'tis certain the fence alone cost more than did my modest 'farmette' lock, stock & barrel. wink Yet right across the street ye got..

..a derelict juke joint. smile I'm told this place was really hoppin', Back In The Day. wink

Next stop..

..beautiful downtown Como. Yes, it is named after the Italian city. smile

That second building on the right, the brown one with the upper deck, is The Como Steakhouse. You can get you a steak there that will rival anything you can find in Kansas City or Chicago. Trust me. wink

And speaking of Chicago..

..the building with the black awning is The Windy City Grille. Pretty darned authentic, they make a mean pizza, and are one of only two joints in the entire Memphis metro area that understand Italian Beef sandwiches. Thumbs Up

Ye walk-up beer store.. cheapest and coldest beer in town right there!

And, hey, Como is still growing...

..albeit not at a pace you'd call "dizzying". wink

But, of course, Como's real claim to fame is..

Click HERE for larger photo

.. that Mississippi Fred McDowell was a long-time resident. Believe it or not, we get the occasional international tourist (European or Japanese, usually) who'll show up in town to pay their respects to ol' Fred. You can download a primer of his music HERE.

Skip James was also known to frequent the area, though his main base of operations was a bit further south. You can download some of Skip's music HERE.

We're heading north for the next shot, approaching Coldwater..

The very first modern supermarket, and once the largest grocery chain in the world, there ain't many Hoggly Woggly stores left.

But Coldwater's claim to fame, like Como, is of a musical nature. The is where the great RL Burnside hang his hat, y' see. I had the pleasure of meeting ol' RL on several occasions, and he was quite a character. A lovable curmudgeon, he would talk with ya all night.. as long as you kept buying him whisky. ROTFLMAO! You can DL some of The Wizards music HERE.

Head 8, maybe 10 miles further north, between Senatobia and Hernando, and you come to The Zebra Ranch, stomping grounds of the legendary Jim Dickinson. Some of ol' Jim's music is HERE. That first track is, IMHO, THE quintessential Memphis Song. smile His sons ain't bad neither, mind you. In fact, their "Shake Hands With Shorty album ( HERE ) is a top-10 Desert Island Disc, for me. WIS Honeymoon

OK, we'll jump a mile or sixty to the south, to Tutwiler.

One of the most storied places in Bluesdom. Indeed, many consider this the be birthplace of The Blues. One of the true giants of the blues, Mississippi John Hurt, lived not too far east of here. You can DL some of his essential music HERE.

Into the Delta...

Bet ya didn't know Kermit was from Mississippi... ROTFLMAO!

One of my personal favs is..

..Panther Burns. Fascinating story behind the name. Back in the mid 1800's there was a big cat living in the area who developed a taste for human flesh. (Yeah, such beasts really did reside in Mississippi, back then.) The local residents, tired of seeing their population reduced by dint of becoming cat food, broke out the guns and dogs and launched a full-scale search and destroy mission. They succeeded in cornering the killer cat in a canebrake and, after the advance force of dogs they sent in failed to return, decided there was only one course of action left: they took their torches and fired the canebrake. Legend says that all who heard the panther's cry as it burned to death were haunted by it to their graves. Indeed, it became such a defining part of their culture that they named their town after the event. Not coincidentally, my favorite blues-fusion artist named his band for the event. (Some say the town/plantation, but I know for a fact that's wrong, 'cause Tav personally told me that 'twas the unforgettable sound of that panther being burned alive that he was conjurring in naming the band.) You can find some Tav Falco's Panther Burns music HERE.

Onwards to Natchez...

Quite a modern city, is Natchez, despite the appearance. The entire town is blanketed with Wi-Fi, for instance. wink

And it lends it's name to one of..

..if not THE greatest "linear parks" in the world, The Natchez Trace Parkway.

Now, much as this next photo might look like part of The Trace..

..we've actually teleported back home to Shamrock Hollow. LOL!

My neighbor runs a herd of..

..these handsome critters. Thumbs Up

I'll leave you with..

..my best Jittery Jim pose ROTFLMAO! and a hint as to where Flat Reto is heading next.

Thanks for readin', y'all!

-Ricky

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Travel Report Flat Reto does North Mississippi. URL Zip Attachments

Anonymous User709July 27, 2009 06:44AM

Watch related news! Memphis Micro-Meet +Flat Reto Travel Report Update! Jpeg Attachments

Anonymous User779July 28, 2009 02:20PM

Mighty fine job of entertaining FR in the DeltaSmile (n/t)

itschris225July 27, 2009 10:26PM

Ahhh.. got to confess here.

Anonymous User224July 27, 2009 10:44PM

"The Mississippi Delta was Shining Like a National Guitar....." Paul Simon (n/t)

Allan Zirlin325October 01, 2010 05:02PM

A nice tour Ricky Thumbs Up Thumbs Up (n/t)

chrise2469205July 27, 2009 10:07PM

Oyoyoy!! Southern cooking at its best!! Clapping!Clapping! (n/t)

JohnnyT231July 27, 2009 05:15PM

Awesome tour Ricky Thumbs up! Is that Mrs next to the sign? (n/t)

PaulGeo221July 27, 2009 04:59PM

'tis! Miss Pamela Dawn 'Bray' McBroom..

Anonymous User244July 27, 2009 10:39PM

Great job, Ricky! Real down-home flavor! Clapping! (n/t)

MCV223July 27, 2009 04:50PM

Very CoolCool Thumbs up! (n/t)

SoCalWis223July 27, 2009 03:58PM

Thanks for the tour. Looks like FR got a taste of Southern hospitality. Smile Thumbs up! (n/t)

Robmks239July 27, 2009 03:47PM

Great post and photos, Ricky. Thanks for the tour.Thumbs up!Smile (n/t)

Mark C.229July 27, 2009 03:36PM

Where in North Mississippi are you?

DJ_Mo199July 27, 2009 03:27PM

Just found out in your profile...

DJ_Mo213July 27, 2009 04:39PM

Re: I just checked your profile, and saw you in Google Maps.

Anonymous User223July 27, 2009 10:28PM

Great! Definetly let me know where you are meeting.. (n/t)

DJ_Mo201July 27, 2009 10:52PM

Amazing tour Ricky and very informative too Thumbs up! (n/t)

Reto238July 27, 2009 03:22PM

Awesome Mr Ricky Lee! Great Tour ! Thank you! Smile (n/t)

IF242July 27, 2009 01:55PM

Great tour, Ricky! You know, come to think of it,>>

Anonymous User209July 27, 2009 01:30PM

Re: ..I have some equipment that was built in Natchez, Mississippi.

Anonymous User209July 27, 2009 02:25PM

Laughing Well, let me elaborate a bit. Ten years ago,>>

Anonymous User244July 27, 2009 04:45PM

Re: ....a simple bar feeder..unit built by Vanco Manufacturing in Nachez, MS. Video Attachments URL

Anonymous User436July 27, 2009 10:16PM

Well done ! Thumbs up! (n/t)

Don Fernando213July 27, 2009 12:49PM

Thanks for the tour! Thumbs up!

hedgesjr237July 27, 2009 11:54AM

My pleasure! And you have a good eye.. Jpeg Attachments URL

Anonymous User253July 27, 2009 02:22PM

If you wanna put some fish in it, call these folks and see when they'll be in the area. URL

itschris200July 27, 2009 10:53PM

Da Fish Man in Panola Co., too. Smile BTW, Pam asked me "Didn't you get the watches all greasy?

Anonymous User216July 30, 2009 01:37AM

Great Pic's Ricky. Always good to see other parts of the World. (n/t)

MickK211July 27, 2009 11:05AM

What a great tour Ricky,I did enjoy that!Thumbs up!Thumbs up!

Bock233July 27, 2009 11:02AM

Thank you! Bock, that is..

Anonymous User206July 27, 2009 02:12PM

Oh man, what a tour! Thanks for sharing! Thumbs up! (n/t)

Wycombe200July 27, 2009 09:54AM

great post big guy... awesome stuff! (n/t)

anjizkit189July 27, 2009 08:44AM

Thank you! That was a great tour, Realy enjoyed it. Thumbs up! (n/t)

DanB205July 27, 2009 08:35AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates