Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Laughable Amphibia build quality...

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
October 04, 2013 02:52PM
Self-winding rotating weight on my week-old Vostok Amphibia (2415 movement) stopped spinning yesterday, though the watch still ran on the manual winder. A quick trip to my friendly local Watch Hospital shop, and he showed me the inside - what I saw surprised and annoyed me in equal measure...
The rotating weight is not of one-piece construction - it is in two, and the semi-circular weight had fallen off the rotor and jammed it, apparently having not been secured to it by any means!
The watch had had no knocks (though it's possible it took a few during transit), and this is a watch famed for it's rugged construction!

Luckily, across the road from the Watch Hospital is a little jeweller with a spot lasering machine, and the problem was sorted very quickly, with a spot laser at each end of the semi-circle, but I'm still amazed that this happened in the first place. Was I just unlucky in buying a watch that had slipped through the net, or are all the Amphibia rotors constructed with these two parts insecure?

I then went back to the Watch Hospital to get it pressure tested, which they did, but only to 100m, which is not as good as the original and supposed 200m, but it's more than I need.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2013 03:28PM by Vostok fan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Laughable Amphibia build quality...

Vostok fan433October 04, 2013 02:52PM

I also see this first time...Smile.............

IF143October 07, 2013 12:59PM

Re: Laughable Amphibia build quality...

Vostok fan151October 06, 2013 06:31AM

First time I've heard of a failure like that. Hopefully just a fluke (n/t)

Ed Brandwein104October 05, 2013 03:59AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates