Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

My first two Soviet watches

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
October 28, 2012 04:50AM
I was considering my first Soviet watch several months ago, but after I was told here that what I was looking at was a re-dial, I backed off. I appreciate the shared expertise. I finally bought two Soviet watches recently. One of them is a 'ЗАКАЗ МО СССР'. Cosmetically it is not very impressive (the red date numbers have almost completely disappeared), but I am winding it everyday, and it seems to be keeping decent time. The other one is a brown-dialed 'dolfin', with a screw-down crown. Either I am a complete klutz when it comes to winding it properly (which is quite possible, even though I have 'read the online instructions'), or it may actually need to be serviced. When it runs, it seems to keep decent time, but it stops sometimes, which may be me not really 'getting it' when it comes to proper Vostok screw-down crown winding technique. In any event, I love the smaller size of the 'dolfin', the cursive Russian numeral style, and that crown stuck up there at the two-o'clock position.
I have a couple of questions. Considering that the 'ministry of defence' watch is not that pristine, would it be considered ethically 'okay' to try to get a replacement date wheel with more legible numbers, and if so, what might be a source of this part if I don't do e-bay?.
Is the 'dolfin' with the screw-down crown considered more water-resistant than a regular, slightly larger Komandirskie? Is it considered more of a scaled-down version of an Amphibia?
Finally, I have another vintage Komadirskie on the way. It is nothing rare; a 30-or-40 year commemorative ending-of-the-great-patriotic-war, but it has a surprisingly non-ugly black bezel. Since some of the chrome plating is starting to flake off, and since I think that brass (even tarnished) is much more attractive, and since it was cheap, I was thinking of having a watch person take the movement out, and the bezel off, and then removing all of the chrome plating. Has anyone else done this? Is there a best way to do it? Is this mod considered unconscionably crass by everyone here? Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My first two Soviet watches Jpeg Attachments

nuubee1080October 28, 2012 04:50AM

In terms of winding ...

JFK3531179November 25, 2012 04:30AM

Re: My first two Soviet watches

Anonymous User199November 20, 2012 08:01PM

Thanks aldov

jackrobinson136November 21, 2012 09:23AM

Nice catches there...

Ed Brandwein157November 04, 2012 12:02AM

nuubee here's my few words Image Attachments

jackrobinson225November 12, 2012 01:17PM

Re: nuubee here's my few words Jpeg Attachments

nuubee153December 17, 2012 03:16AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates