Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Must have been quite a while...

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
March 24, 2014 07:05PM
as my old login has become inactive.
No problem, I just moved my login from another forum Whistle

I recently got this one sorted out and have been wearing it quite a bit...

My friend Zoodles left this one with me several years ago to see if I could sort out the excessively fast running.
I did a complete service on it and it still ran way too fast. I thought I might have missed a worn or broken part but even two more tear downs failed to show anything up or solve the problem. I gave up and left it in the watch drawer until recently when I decided to solve the issue once and for all.

With the movement in my holder, it always ran fine but as soon as I put it back in the case and closed it up then had it face up, the speed would increase. Nothing I could see while in the holder indicated a problem.
In a moment of beer induced enlightenment, I held the movement over my head with the dial facing up and had a real close look with my loupe.
Then I saw it! The outer loops of the balance spring were rubbing on the balance cock/bridge and effectively shortening the spring.

Flipped it back over and in a couple of seconds had the balance spring back in shape. Whoever worked on the watch before Zoodles received it had obviously pulled the balance out and stretched the spring into a slight cone shape. It should be absolutely flat when looking across the coils.

The watch now works perfectly and I seem to have gotten it into a nice tight +/- 1 second per day accuracy. Originally I got it to +/- 5sec but decided to go for broke.

This is a 40+ year old watch and I am tickled pink that it runs so accurately Thumbs up!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Must have been quite a while... Jpeg Attachments

Pawl_Buster143March 24, 2014 07:05PM

Welcome back! It's great to see that you got that beautiful watch...

saskwatch31March 26, 2014 05:25PM

Very nice watch and very interesting tips for movement! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF35March 25, 2014 01:31PM

Thanks...sometimes we're just lucky Cheers! nt (n/t)

Pawl_Buster28March 25, 2014 07:57PM

Wonderful news, and so good to see you here, Peter! (n/t)

Anonymous User23March 24, 2014 08:54PM

Re: Wonderful news, and so good to see you here, Peter!

Pawl_Buster25March 24, 2014 10:55PM

smile (n/t)

Anonymous User24March 27, 2014 06:52PM

Nicely done Thumbs up! (n/t)

BobbyMike18March 24, 2014 07:59PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates