Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Early Beijing manual and automatic tongji movement watches

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
March 05, 2014 04:13PM
Beijing was one of the first factories to manufacture tongji movement watches. This SZB-1 is an early example, but not one of the earliest.

A few factories used red print on their dials in the early 1970s, but after approximately 40 years it usually has faded considerably. From this and from other examples I’ve seen (e.g. Serve the People dials), Beijing’s red has lasted comparatively well. Red print on a SZB-1 isn’t common.

Under the balance: B 73. I think B stands for Beijing, 73 for 1973.

It’s interesting that there’s no brand name anywhere on the watch. The same could be said for this 40 jewel automatic, but the logo is different.

Beijing’s SZB-1C was the first automatic tongji movement to be developed. It had 20 jewels in its base and 20 more in the automatic winding module.

I believe the ZD on the caseback stands for Zi Dong (automatic), as appears on the dial. The 7412 might be a date. If it is, it would appear that the factory produced automatic movements with 20 jewel bases some time before it sold 20 jewel manual movement watches.

B 73 appears under the balance of this movement too, suggesting an earlier date than the 7412 on the caseback. It’s possible that the factory used older parts in this watch, but it’s also possible that the movement isn’t 100% original.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Early Beijing manual and automatic tongji movement watches Jpeg Attachments

saskwatch162March 05, 2014 04:13PM

I like them both! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF23March 12, 2014 06:07AM

I love your support for this forum, Ioannis! Thank you! (n/t)

Anonymous User22March 13, 2014 08:29PM

Anytime, Ron! Cheers! Thumbs up!

IF20March 14, 2014 12:23PM

Lotsa *wow* factor in those two, especially when...

Anonymous User33March 05, 2014 05:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates