Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Inexpensive Shanghai with a gold case???

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
Aldo
December 20, 2013 06:04PM
I like to do a little bargain hunting on the bay from time to time in order to get cheap watches I can experiment with for the watchmaking course I'm taking. Recently, I bought a Shanghai for a very reasonable price from a seller in Bulgaria. Upon receiving the watch I found it to be covered with what looked like a black tarnish or possibly even black paint. I found the coating to be easily removed with a cloth and underneath the case appeared at first glance to be brass. When comparing the Shanghai case with some old brass cases and tools I have laying around I realized it was a different material. I suspected from the look it was some kind of gold alloy and with a bit of research I decided to test this theory. I did a streak test on ceramic and it left a gold coloured streak, confirming my suspicion that it is not brass and may in fact be a gold alloy of some sort. A friend of mine suggested it may be a low grade lead and gold alloy. My question is, how common is gold or lead/gold as a case material in Chinese watches of this vintage (60's?) and do you have any other ideas as to what the material is if not gold? Also any information as to the origin and history of this watch would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for any information or guesses you might have.

Aldo

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Inexpensive Shanghai with a gold case??? Jpeg Attachments

Aldo188December 20, 2013 06:04PM

SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF56December 27, 2013 01:03PM

It's a nice looking watch. Thumbs up! I like the fade dial >>>

saskwatch70December 22, 2013 01:57PM

Thanks!

Anonymous User57December 23, 2013 09:46PM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates