Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Hongqi SL2

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
December 04, 2013 04:57PM
When I first started collecting VCMs, older Hongqi brand watches with SL2 movements were plentiful and inexpensive. I should have bought one at the time because almost three years later there are still a good number available, but prices are considerably higher. Also, a number of quite new-looking SL2 Hongqis have appeared on the market since then. I suspect they could be more recent creations.

In spite of increased prices I did finally get one. Its condition issues undoubtedly helped to keep the cost lower, but also they give me the impression, correct or incorrect, that it’s more likely to be an authentic example from the early 1970s. The parts look original, but I’m not sure about the hands.

From the Chinese Watch Industry Wiki’s Liaoning Watch Factory page:

…the introduction of the 'HongQi' (Red Flag) in 1966 with the SL-2 movement built on imported Swiss tooling…

It’s my understanding that this information was taken from Liaoning Watch Factory’s website (which I can’t find now), but the year 1966 seems early. I have never seen an SL2 with a date code earlier than 1970. The fact that I haven’t seen one doesn’t necessarily mean that it didn’t exist, but the 1970 date codes of AlbertaTime’s remarkable SL2 Shizhi (prototype/test run) watches suggest at least that they weren’t mass produced until then. It appears possible that LWF’s date could indicate the year of the movement’s initial development, and some time passed before it was used in watches sold to the public.

It’s unclear what crown is “correct” on this model. I’ve seen a number of Hongqi SL2s with crowns from other factories (clearly incorrect), unsigned crowns (don’t know), and crowns with either of two different letter H logos (I think they originally came on later tongji movement models). The significant number of examples of SL2s with H crowns might explain why ”incorrect” crowns appear more often on tongji movement Hongqis than most, if not all, other brands. I’m quite certain, however, that the 红旗 crown is appropriate to this watch.

Also from the CWIW:

The SL-2 was upgraded to 21,600bph in the late 1960s.

This example, however, has a date code of 0971 (September 1971) and ticks away at 18,000 bph.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Hongqi SL2 Jpeg Attachments URL

saskwatch143December 04, 2013 04:57PM

Another interesting dial texture, I can see why you like them Thumbs up! (n/t)

BobbyMike36December 04, 2013 06:24PM

Very interesting info, a very nice watch, of course! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF47December 04, 2013 05:25PM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates