Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #2 - the wonderful evening of April 4th in Shanghai

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
Anonymous User
April 05, 2013 05:51PM
If you missed part 1 (the morning and afternoon of the day of this event I'm about to describe) go here.

Onward...

I owe very special thanks to Mr. Cheng of the Chinese watch site Yiwatch. Mr. Cheng was kind enough to make the arrangements for this heartwarming "greet the foreign visitor" VCM Dinner that very appropriately highlighted the achievements of the Shanghai Watch Factory in the 1950s and 1960s. I have no sufficient words to express my gratitude or his efforts.

I owe many thanks as well to all who attended as I was shown superb hospitality and friendship by everyone. I had a great time over nicely strong rice wine, very good Chinese beer smile and lots of excellent food, most of which I'd never tasted before b-), and reports on Yiwatch suggest the fun and friendship was shared smile

I am honoured to introduce the guests that assembled at the event:

Back row from right to left:

• Mr Cheng, the webmaster of China's yiwatch.net and camgle.com (a watch and camera site, well known in China);
  • Mr Zhu, webmaster of the Chinese watch forum at www.watchstore.cn which has a popular forum area.;
  • Mr Shao, also webmaster of the Chinese watch forum: yiwatch.net, and the very experienced VCM collectors:
  • Mr Liang,
  • Mr Xia,
  • Mr Sun.

Front row from right to left:

• Mr Jiang Qing, Designer of the Shanghai Watch Factory SS1A movement (1966);
  • Mr Tong QinFen, former Production Team member for the A581 (mid-1950s) movement as well as the former vice chief engineer of Xian HongQi Watch Factory and the former Senior Engineer at Shanghai Watch Factory;
  • me; and
  • Mr. Joel Chan of the Micmicmor Vintage Watch website.

And here are some other "special guests" at the table, most I never thought I'd ever see in person, let alone touch....

...a very rare 24 jewel non-diver military issue Shanghai...

...a very rare 17 jewel Shanghai watch, marked for military use...

...a rare 24 jewel miltary diver...

...followed by an even rarer 29 jewel version...

...and a very rare ZuanShi SMI with date complication...

...an original and rare "panda" 581....

...a stunningly rare Dong Fang Hong "East is Red"...

...followed by an equally stunning and rare He Ping "Peace"...

...an uncommon "sitting" XiongMao...

...an original 1960s Chinese Air Force chronograph (note the sub-dial hands with no "tail", just to muddy the details of the controversy about which side "properly" has the tail wink...

...and rarest of all:a Shanghai 24 jewel automatic with date. I very graciously received special permission from the owner to show this watch as Joel noted that it really hasn't yet been seen in this detail even on a Chinese website.

I also want to note that the AMCHPR was gifted at the Dinner with 10 quite hard to find vintage Chinese mechanical watches (no, none of those), plus a set of beautiful Zhongshan dials as well as some scholarly research papers that will need to be translated before I can post them at the AMCHPR...but I'm a shameless tease, so that's for a future installment :-d

...and here's the translation of the Yiwatch report of the event:

yiwatch.net/thread-105761-1-1.html - Translator

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 06:05PM by AlbertaTime.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #2 - the wonderful evening of April 4th in Shanghai Jpeg Attachments URL

Anonymous User308April 05, 2013 05:51PM

Trips to China are always positive experiences ! You are making some very privileged inroads , treasure them ! (n/t)

tingrin104April 06, 2013 04:29PM

Looks like you are fully integrated in China Made Watch or Movement smile Thanks for the update Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto118April 06, 2013 08:28AM

Great topic, unique situations! Bravo, Ron! Cheers!Thumbs up! (n/t)

IF92April 06, 2013 07:28AM

Man you are chinese watch royalty laughing ... do you speak chinese? (n/t)

JP143April 05, 2013 10:59PM

Re: Man you are chinese watch royalty laughing ... do you speak chinese?

Anonymous User110April 06, 2013 01:27AM

Thumbs Up that works everywhere smile (n/t)

JP99April 08, 2013 09:23PM

Awesome trip report and pictures as usual Ron. Thank you.

Timemiser108April 05, 2013 10:53PM

You've really started your trip with a bang! >>>

saskwatch111April 05, 2013 10:08PM

Thanks again, Jon...

Anonymous User117April 06, 2013 01:24AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates