Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Resda automatic

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
March 20, 2013 04:17PM
I don’t know what Resda means (or if it even has a meaning), but I think it is 雷士达, a name seen on some brand lists for Hefei Watch Factory. WUS moderator soviet has suggested that it sounds similar to the English translation of the factory's main brand, Red Star. It's possible this was done to create an export brand without such a revolutionary-sounding name.

Although Resda manual wind watches can be found, I decided to go for an automatic. It’s in nearly new condition, but its box isn’t.

The date can be advanced by adjusting the time between 10:10 PM and 12. The crown isn’t signed.

Inside is what appears to be an automatic tongji movement, but it’s unusual.

The barrel bridge and click look different from any I’ve seen. I don’t have enough technical knowledge, however, to be able to say how this is significant. WUS moderator Chascomm pointed out that this movement is uncommon also because the automatic winding mechanism winds in only one direction.

The code under the balance is AH above 2J2. Manual tongji movements with this code inscribed on the train bridge are sometimes, but not exclusively, seen in mid-1980s Baoshihua brand watches. Some factory code lists mention that AH 2J2 movements come from Shanghai No. 2 Watch Factory, but I don’t remember seeing any example of an automatic model produced there.

I found an article from April 1985 that states (I think) that Shanghai No. 2 contracted Hefei Watch Factory to manufacture a number of Baoshihua watches in the mid-1980s. Could AH be an abbreviation for Anhui, Hefei’s province? I don’t know how to explain 2J2, except to speculate that it may have something to do with Shanghai No. 2.

This may not be related, but I found another article that said Hefei Watch Factory made a significant investment to purchase equipment from Switzerland in the mid-1980s. The decision appears unfortunate considering increased availability of inexpensive imported quartz watches at the time. The question remains, however: which factory produced the AH 2J2 movement?

After looking at this example and photos available on the internet of manual versions, I still don’t know. When I could see codes under the balances of the manual AH 2J2 movements, ZSE (Shanghai No. 2) always appeared. The finishing and shock protection, however, resemble what can be seen in ZHF (Hefei) movements. If I were to guess, I would say the movements were assembled at Hefei Watch Factory using Hefei-made parts and possibly parts from Shanghai, but this is only speculation. Hopefully more information will be discovered someday.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Resda automatic Jpeg Attachments URL

saskwatch327March 20, 2013 04:17PM

That's a handsome watch, I find the research you conduct fascinating - Thanks again for sharing! (n/t)

BobbyMike103March 20, 2013 06:45PM

I agree about Jon's research. Trule remarkable stuff! (n/t)

Anonymous User115March 22, 2013 04:30PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates