Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Jinmao with scenic textured dial

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
January 23, 2013 05:32PM
As a major port, Qingdao’s connection to the sea was represented by its Jinmao (golden anchor) brand watches. This example has one of a number of caseback variations.

Like many Jinmao watches, the crown is signed with an anchor.

The movement is typical to the brand. Under the balance is Q8012, which probably dates it to December 1980.

What makes this otherwise ordinary Jinmao stand out is its patterned textured dial.

When I bought it I didn’t know what scene is depicted, but an opportunity arose during my recent travels. I was able to visit a relative of mine who lived in Qingdao for most of her life. She told me that it is a view from Lu Xun Park, a well-known Qingdao locale. The building is Qingdao Aquarium. She then showed me a framed picture of herself taken at that exact location. Cool

During the visit, it was great to hear about watches from the perspective of a Chinese non-WIS. She said she remembers the Jinmao brand and was surprised to hear that Qingdao Watch Factory still exists. On learning this, she searched for Jinmao watches on the web and expressed her astonishment at how expensive they had become. She then said that the best Chinese brand was Shanghai and asked me if I had one. Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off Her view on Swiss watches: It’s pointless to pay more for them when most of their parts are made in China.

I really appreciate the chance to spend time with her, and I hope that the opportunity arises again soon.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jinmao with scenic textured dial Jpeg Attachments

saskwatch263January 23, 2013 05:32PM

That's a brutally rare gem, Jon. Awesome catch. (n/t)

AlbertaTime123January 24, 2013 04:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates