Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

From the North: Beifang & Heilongjiang

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
January 09, 2013 04:54PM
The annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival officially began a few days ago. To commemorate this, a Beifang (North) brand watch from the northeastern city where it takes place.

The crown isn’t signed. The movement is not the ZHE tongji I’d expect to find in a watch made in Harbin. SZ1A over 二74上 is stamped under the balance. This mark is consistent with a 1974 tongji from Shanghai No. 2 Watch Factory – interesting considering that Harbin Watch Factory didn’t open until 1975. Some earlier trial Beifang models were produced at Harbin Clock (& Watch?) Factory, but these watches had Liaoning-made SL1A movements.

The movement isn’t necessarily a replacement, however. It’s possible that Harbin Watch Factory used outsourced movements in its early tongji models. I have a Harbin-made Tiane (and I’ve seen another) with what appears to be a striped early Qingdao-made tongji inside. In fact, in the early Beifangs on Taobao there is a higher than average incidence of movements produced elsewhere, but this could be due to the possibility that the expected ZHE movements may have had to be replaced more often than those found in some other brands. If this one’s is a replacement, an older Shanghai No. 2 tongji is a high quality substitute.

Another watch from the north:

The brand name appears to be Heilongjiang, Harbin’s province. It was named for the river (aka the Amur) which forms part of the boundary with Russia. Jiamusi is a city in the northeast of Heilongjiang. I don’t think Jiamusi had a watch factory, but I have seen mentions of one in the nearby city of Shuangyashan. This watch, however, bears the stamp of Harbin Watch Factory, literally.

The Shanghai crown is probably a replacement.

Under the balance is ZHE 805 (Harbin Watch Factory, May 1980).

After I bought it I saw another for sale. The seller didn’t have a crown photo, but the watch had a Beifang caseback and a ZHE movement too.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

From the North: Beifang & Heilongjiang Jpeg Attachments

saskwatch280January 09, 2013 04:54PM

Especialy impressed with the Heilongjiang...

AlbertaTime90January 14, 2013 05:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates