Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

WuXi & Hongmei

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
December 26, 2012 10:19PM
It has been mentioned that Wuxi had six watch factories. From one of them is this Wuxi brand watch.

As usual I like the dial misprint.

The Shanghai crown is most likely a replacement.

A couple of months ago I said movements in Wuxi-made watches confuse me, partly because of the movement in my Hongdeng, and also because of this one.

The movement is clearly marked with Wuxi’s factory code, ZWX, but under the balance is RJ above ZHQ. ZHQ is the factory code of Hongqi Watch Factory in Xian. I am confused

Another Wuxi-made watch is this Hongmei.

The cracks in the crystal didn’t appear in the seller’s photo. It was probably damaged in shipping. The caseback, on the other hand, is exactly as pictured: scratched and worn.

It may be difficult to see, but qUAN GANG has a small/lower case q, Fang Zhen is spelled FANG ZHGN, and the factory name is Wuxi Clock & Watch Factory. The crown is unsigned.

I’m not sure what the origin of the SZH movement is, but it is seen most often in Hongmei brand watches.

Under the balance: BB SS7 over 中国 上海 (China Shanghai). This indicates that it is part of an early Shanghai Watch Factory tongji, but the SS7 is a 19 jewel movement. So, out of my three Wuxi-made watches, all three have movements with markings from more than one factory. I am confused

WUS moderator Soviet said this in regard to Hongdeng watches:

soviet
I believe that WUXI County Watch Factory sourced movement parts (not complete movements)from other factories, My Hongdeng movement is signed SZ1CQ that should be a Chong Qing made movement, but under the balance is NC 78 that should be a part of a Nan Chang made movement. It is a similar case for your Hongdeng movement. I have a Taihu brand watch made by the same factory with a Beijing made ZB1 movement but without a date code under the balance.

But, Hongdeng watches were manufactured by Wuxi County Watch Factory. It is possible that the same applies to the products of Wuxi’s other factories, or maybe I just made unfortunate choices with this pair.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

WuXi & Hongmei Jpeg Attachments URL

saskwatch280December 26, 2012 10:19PM

Jon, your scholarship on this series has been plainly astonishing, and ...

Anonymous User98December 28, 2012 08:05AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates