Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Yulan & Bababa

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
October 31, 2012 06:40PM
Yulan & Bababa

The larger Chinese watch factories sold grade 3 watches with a different brand name from their grade 1 watches. Xian’s Hongqi Watch Factory’s grade 3 brand was Yulan, named for a variety of magnolia.

Under the balance is what I think is RJ above ZHQ, but it is difficult to read because the Yulan logo is stamped over the upper letters. It appears that it was a way to mark movements that were substandard, and thus to be put into grade 3 watches. Other factories did the same thing, for example the 付 (fu) on some Shanghai movements. The reason I question the RJ is because I have four other watches of three different HWF brands manufactured within a year of this date code, and the shock protection looks different. In the Yulan’s movement it resembles what can be seen in later ZHQ movements, such as the one in this Bababa.

When I first saw it, I had never heard of the brand. I don’t know what the name means, 888 perhaps? I also had never heard of the name (Shanxi Province Watch Case Factory) on the back.

I don’t know if Shanxi refers to the province known in English as Shaanxi, where Xian is located, or to the neighbouring province of Shanxi. The fact that it looks like a Butterfly brand watch in almost every way suggests the former.

Under the balance: LH above ZHQ (the L looks like a backwards J)

After I bought it, a thread appeared on another forum about the brand. Coincidentally the OP is the seller from whom I purchased my double calendar Yanan. In the thread title he said it is from Shaanxi.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Yulan & Bababa Jpeg Attachments URL

saskwatch393October 31, 2012 06:40PM

Re: Yulan & Bababa

archeo-peterix140November 03, 2012 04:56AM

More, probably. and yup: Cheers! Smile (n/t)

AlbertaTime148November 03, 2012 08:09PM

**Great post**, Jon (as usual)...and I would strongly suggest that folks who read this post...

AlbertaTime144November 01, 2012 05:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates