Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Shenhua & Shuixian

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
October 24, 2012 04:41PM
A couple of new VCM flowers are blooming here, including this not-often-seen Shenhua (ginseng flower).

It’s a product of Jilin Watch Factory, which made among other brands Meihualu (sika deer) watches. An interesting quote from the Wikipedia page for Jilin province:

Wikipedia
Traditionally, Jilin has been known as a major pharmaceutical center, with yields of ginseng and deer antlers among the largest in China, being used extensively in Traditional Chinese medicine.

The crown is signed with the Meihualu logo.

Under the balance: J823 (March 1982?)

Another new flower is this also not-often-seen Shuixian (narcissus) from Fuzhou. I was able to find one that cost less than the exorbitantly priced handful on Taobao. Of course I have absolutely no idea whether all of its parts are original.

Fuzhou Watch Factory was established in 1976. Due to high production costs its Shuixian brand watches had to be sold for a lower amount than it cost to produce them. In 1979 the decision was made to stop production, and, with investment from Hong Kong, the factory became an early Chinese producer of digital electronic watches.

The new venture eventually proved to be unprofitable too, and further reforms were considered in the mid-1980s. It was discovered at this time that the factory had a stockpile of unused mechanical watch parts, many of which had been allowed to rust. A recommendation was made to use the good parts to assemble more Shuixian brand watches, but it is unclear whether it was put into effect.

Its crown is unsigned. Under the balance is VE above ZHQ, making the movement (or at least that part of it) a product of Hongqi Watch Factory in Xian. I don’t know the start year of HWF codes, but from what I can figure out the V could indicate a manufacture date between 1974 and 1977.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shenhua & Shuixian Jpeg Attachments

saskwatch325October 24, 2012 04:41PM

Re: Shenhua & Shuixian

Anonymous User141October 25, 2012 03:12AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates