Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Jinji 7220J and Yanan double calendar

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
September 19, 2012 03:51PM
Tongji movements were standardised, but some factories upgraded the movements to add features, one of the most common of which was calendar. These upgrades were in no way standardised. Shanghai Watch Factory produced a number of models with calendar, including this slow-set 7220 Jinji:

Jinji was a grade 3 brand. It was probably a way to sell watches with movements that didn’t meet the grade 1 standard, but Shanghai was one of the factories that sometimes put higher grade movements in its lower grade watches. There is probably no way to know whether this is an example of that, but it’s well-made.

The calendar can be adjusted by moving the hands between 10:18 and 12:00.

Shanghai made many 7220 model watches, but very few of them were marked with the model number. The only ones I know of are the Shanghai 7220 101 and the Jinji 7220J 1203.

Interestingly, the movement doesn’t have a date code.

Another upgrade to the tongji movement was the double calendar function, and Hongqi Watch Factory in Xian produced many watches with this feature. It’s easy to find a Butterfly with double calendar, more difficult to find a quartz Yanan with double calendar, and very difficult to find a mechanical Yanan with double calendar. It is difficult enough that I bought this one even though the seller said it doesn’t run well.

The date advances at 11:50, so it can be adjusted by moving the hands between 10:50 and 11:50 without changing the day, which advances at 12:00. It keeps reasonably good time but stops between 11:15 and 11:30 PM, as though it is too much work for the movement to change the date. For now it will be a looker, not a wearer.

I didn’t notice until two days ago that it appeared on another forum. It’s odd that I didn’t see the thread at the time I was considering buying it (about a week after the OP), because I made what I thought was a thorough search for information.

Like the Jinji, the crown is unsigned. Under the balance: RD over ZHQB.

I left it on the expansion band with which it came. It has a working compass, but because of its crystal it can be difficult to read.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jinji 7220J and Yanan double calendar Jpeg Attachments URL

saskwatch348September 19, 2012 03:51PM

The Yan'an is a great catch with that *very* cool strap...

Anonymous User154September 20, 2012 02:36AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates