Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Not vintage, but all Chinese. Brief review of my new De Rieter project watch.

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
August 22, 2012 04:24AM
I recently purchased this Chinese project watch from IanC, who sells them on the PMWF (no affiliation). Although I'm a member at WUS I don't hang out there much, so missed the ongoing description of the development of this watch, as well as Ron's review there: [forums.watchuseek.com] .

I've had this watch for almost a week now, and I'm loving it. It hits a lot of buttons for me. Although I usually like diver/casual watches, occasionally I like something a bit dressier. While a bit thick for a true dress watch, it's still thin enough to fit under cuffs. The case is a great size for me, at 40mm. While I've come to prefer cases at 42mm in the diver category, I like them a bit smaller (38-40mm) in the dress category. The case has a nice coin edge, which although thicker than a Patek Philippe, I consider a nice style nod to a Calatrava, which is one of my favorite "unobtainables". The watch comes either in a Black numeral/Creme dial combination, or a Blue numeral/White dial combo. I chose the Black/Creme, but I think both are pretty nice looking.

The watch came shipped in a pretty cheap paper covered plastic box, which was fine with me. Ian will ship the watch either in the box or wrapped in bubble wrap ($6 for the bubble wrap shipping, $12 for the box). Although either will probably work just fine, I chose the box for it's perceived (to me) extra layer of protection for shipping from Singapore.

The watch itself easily swims comfortably in a much higher class than it's price tag would suggest. The fit and finish were clean and consistent, if not quite as nice as my lusted after $21,000 Patek Philippe. The watch has an old school look and feel to it, with its Roman numerals, Breguet/Pomme hands, onion crown, and guilloche dial. The hands (importantly for me) are properly sized to the periphery (I'd really get into VCM watches if most of them didn't have really short hands).

There are nice "modern" touches that I like about this watch, too. First, as already mentioned, is the size, at 40mm. The crystal is sapphire on the front, with a mineral caseback (the caseback sticker is still on in my pictures). The clear caseback is engraved around the periphery, and one has a nice view of the mildly decorated ST25 movement, which is auto, handwinds, and hacks (yeah, baby!). The movement feels a bit scratchy, but I understand that all ST25's do, so I'm not concerned.

All in all, I'm really psyched about this watch. It wears nicely on the supplied leather band, looks good, and is a nice change from wearing a diver. I wouldn't feel out of place wearing this with a suit or jeans. The dial on this watch is uncluttered, balanced, and the guilloche surface keeps it interesting without becoming gaudy. The watch sits nicely on my 7.3-7.5" wrist (inside vs. outside) feeling comfortably solid without feeling heavy.

Oh, and the price? $110. Yes. $110! For less than I would be charged to polish a small scratch out of the Patek Phillipe, I have a brand new watch, and a really nice one at that.

Finally, the stats:

Case: 40mm (without crown)

Thickness: 12.6mm (with my new calipers)

Lugs: 20mm

Crystal: Sapphire front, Mineral rear

Movement: ST25 (auto/hacks/handwinds)

Joe

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
Carl Sandburg
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Not vintage, but all Chinese. Brief review of my new De Rieter project watch. Jpeg Attachments URL

JFK3531763August 22, 2012 04:24AM

Thanks for the review. It's an attractive watch! Thumbs up! (n/t)

saskwatch168August 22, 2012 06:59PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates