Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Two more from Changshu

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
August 15, 2012 05:42PM
I always thought ChangShou brand watches, made by Changshu Watch Factory, were quite rare. In the entire time I have been collecting, I’ve seen only two for sale, and I bought one of them. When searching Taobao not long ago, however, I was very surprised to see more than a half dozen of them. I was even more surprised to see this watch:

I haven’t seen this spelling of Changshu on a watch dial. The back is new to me too.

Its shape is interesting because it is necessary for the movement to fit.

Changshu Watch Factory made SS1-style watches? The 18000 bph movement is marked 3S1, the code for Shanghai No. 3 Watch Factory, which made HaiShi and Huguang brands. Of course I don’t know if it’s original because I have nothing with which to compare it. The crown is unmarked.

I bought this more common tongji model too.

I’ve seen the caseback before. It reminds me of the “steering wheel” casebacks of early tongji Yanans.

Under the balance: UK above ZHQ. It reminds me too much of a Yanan now, because ZHQ is the code for Hongqi Watch Factory in Xian. Either Changshu used movements manufactured elsewhere at some time, or it’s a replacement.

Some time ago in another thread, Reto and I discussed the origin of Changshu's export brand Timon and the reason its automatic models had imported Durowe movements. I found some more information while I was looking for something else. It's not much, but it's something:

Changshu Watch Factory was contracted by Hong Kong Huata Co. to produce Timon brand watches for export in 1979. Less than three years later the Timon Clock and Watch Company was formed, becoming the Suzhou region's first Chinese-foreign joint enterprise in any industry. For some reason the partnership was dissolved at a later date.

The collection can be seen at my website, www.myvcms.com
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Two more from Changshu Jpeg Attachments URL

saskwatch365August 15, 2012 05:42PM

#1 is Cool (n/t)

wodo156August 20, 2012 07:50PM

Well, you know me...I'm a caseback fan, and...

Anonymous User164August 17, 2012 01:15AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates