Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

State of the collection

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
June 23, 2013 06:44PM
Background

Some years ago Seiko produced some large watches that the aficionados of the brand affectionately called Big Freaking Seikos or BFS. These were regular movement cased in 44mm steel cases with 24mm lugs. I actually liked them a lot and managed to get two of them. However when in my hands, while I loved the dial design, I was not thrilled about the case shape, it was not quite comfortable for me and I was not crazy about the the looks. I ended up selling both of them. But kept admiring the dial design.

Present time

Some months ago I was able to find a source for these dials and got them, one at the time, slowly as finances permitted. While doing this I started looking at a possible case that would match or at least look good with thos dials. I could not tell Seiko to make a new case for me so I had to choose between what was available. While Seiko does not make large cases generally I found some that at 42mm were at least not too small for me. These were watches made in Japan with a hacking and hand winding movement. I got the first one, put the bits together and decided it was a case good enough for the project. So i went ahead and, within a period of several months, got all 4 watches done.

Basic specs are 42mm in diameter, hardlex crystal, day/date window, 20mm lugs and a low profile. What I like a lot is the large crown which is easy to pull out and turn, also easy to handwind if needed. The WR is 100m so these are not divers, but I guess casual/sports watches with a touch of dressiness. Each comes with a bracelet but since they are all still wrapped up I decided to mount a Bond strap on them, it looks good to me and allows me to save the bracelet from scratches. Not that I have worn these too much actually, maybe twice in fact.

These are not high end watches and they are affordable to a degree, but in my eyes these are unique and in fact the only ones around in the whole world that I know of. I don't see them as modifications either, but more like new watches created by me for me.

The watches

The first one is a pilot looking watch with a classid black dial coming from the SNKF11 model watch and the hands of the SRP043, seconds hand is from a Seiko Stargate.

The second is also a pilot inspired watch, with a white dial from the SNKF09 model, the hands are from a Seiko FFF and the red seconds hand is from the SARB15 black Alpinist.

The third uses the dial that is a bit of a different design from the first two, the model is SNKF07 and the color is blue, the hands are the original ones from the SARZ05 base watch and the seconds hand is the milgauss one made by Yobokies. This is the only one that has a non Seiko part in it.

The last one uses the black dial of the SNKF05 model and the hands of the white Seiko Stargate with the addition of the seconds hand from the white Stargate.

These are not the only watches I have but they are one part of the collection that I consider being related to one another and for which I worked on as a project for a while, at this time this project is completed, all the watches are done at least as far as I wanted to do.

I hope I did not bore you with all the talking and all the pics... Anyway, below are a few family shots showing all the watches together. I hope you enjoy and sorry for the dust and lint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 04:49PM by carlopmwf.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

State of the collection Jpeg Attachments

carlopmwf876June 23, 2013 06:44PM

Re: State of the collection

Mr.Rolex67October 28, 2013 01:30AM

Re: State of the collection

Poseidon-Jim64June 29, 2013 06:42AM

Great family shots, Carlo! Thumbs Up (n/t)

Dave M45June 24, 2013 06:11PM

Thank you Dave! (n/t)

carlopmwf47June 25, 2013 04:43PM

Fantastic looking mods.Thumbs up! (n/t)

Mark C.50June 24, 2013 02:14PM

Thank you. (n/t)

carlopmwf36June 24, 2013 05:09PM

Great looking custom watches, I especially like the Blue dialed one as Blue is my favorite color. (n/t)

Paul J Costa42June 24, 2013 01:18PM

Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised myself by resulting combination. (n/t)

carlopmwf46June 24, 2013 05:09PM

I like them, but for some reason, the white one stands out for me! Well done! Clapping! (n/t)

James T. KirkĀ©44June 24, 2013 08:14AM

Thank you Johan, as a matter of fact the

carlopmwf46June 24, 2013 05:07PM

That's a great collection Carlo! Your persistence paid off nicely. (n/t)

Timemiser45June 24, 2013 03:22AM

Thank you and yes, persistance paid off... I love each one. (n/t)

carlopmwf39June 24, 2013 05:06PM

Neat! I had a BFS once Laughing TOOOO BIG! I like the 1st one also! More nice work Carlo Thumbs up! (n/t)

Riddim Driven54June 24, 2013 12:52AM

Thank you very much. More then the size I think for me

carlopmwf43June 24, 2013 05:05PM

Super great collection! Thumbs up! Smile (n/t)

DanB46June 23, 2013 09:41PM

Thank you and it's a pleasure to share. (n/t)

carlopmwf46June 24, 2013 05:04PM

Thanks for sharing Clapping!I like the first one the most Thumbs up! (n/t)

pumpkin200150June 23, 2013 08:17PM

Thank you for the kind words. (n/t)

carlopmwf42June 24, 2013 05:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates