Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Back to Basic, Seiko Bolt

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
March 13, 2013 04:54PM
I have been kind of busy in the past few weeks with not much time for forum activity. I finally completed this and wanted to share. After getting a couple of sophisticated watches that are powered by the light, one with a chronograph that can count down to 1/1000 of a second, I went back to basic with a regular mechanical watch with hour, minute, seconds, day and date basic functions.

I started this project a couple of months ago, I was looking at the watches for sale on the different forums just for fun as I do that some times, it seems to be an easy way to see lots of photos of different watches of different brands and models and some times they are inspiration for new projects for me. Anyway I was this rare watch on sale a Seiko SKXA33 which is a 200m WR divers watch different from the regular SKX line. It was used and had wear so it was being sold for an affordable price. I decided to get and that was the beginning. The watch arrived and it was nice enough even if it had quite a few wear marks. Unfortunately that model has an integrated bracelet and it was too small, checking with Seiko Customer Service only confirmed that it was discontinued and that they did not have any links available. So I made up my mind and shamelessly replaced the dial and hands with another set, sold the watch so modified to a happy buyer and off it went to a good home.

I looked and found a basic watch that I though would work and ordered it. However when it arrived a couple of weeks later I did not like the watch as much as I thought I would, so left it sitting for a few weeks. When I finally decided to put all the parts together and maybe just sell the watch, I did not like the final look. The hands did not work out however I really liked the dial on that case.

I started to look for something else and specifically I decided to get another set of hands and started looking again. A few weeks later I was able to get an original set of Seiko Sumo hands from Rob of Monsterwatches.eu (who is awesome by the way) and when I finally got them and installed them it was 2 months later.

During the installation I tried a few hands and then opted for the spare bolt styled hand that I had. The result? See for yourself. Sorry for the crappy photos, one of these days I will learn how to take them properly…

The case of this model which I believe is SRP213, has the 4r36 Seiko movement that hack and handwind. The case is made of stainless steel and it is about 42mm in diameter, 46 to the end of the crown. Lugs are 22mm. It has a Cyclops… my plan on that was to remove it since I did not care for it from the beginning, however the watch being brand new etc. made me rethink it and since I don’t really care one way or the other I just left it on for the time being. It does not really bother me at this point. The watch comes on a bracelet but for the moment I put it on a Zulu just so I could take the photos. While the dial is from a 200m WR watch, the basic watch is actually 100m WR so not quite a diver.

Lume is outstanding, the hands being from the Sumo are slightly brighter but that is usual, the dial is certainly well lumed like any respectable Seiko diver and it easily lasts all night.

The chrome framed indices and hands seem to complement each other well and the seconds hand gives the face an interesting look. I also like the large crown which is one of the things I am looking in watches, I mean I prefer a crown that is easy to grip and to use, and also I find I prefer the look of a watch that has a nice large one. The caseback is see through type, I would have preferred a solid one since the movement while not bad looking is nothing special but all considered I like the overall result.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 04:18PM by carlopmwf.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Back to Basic, Seiko Bolt Jpeg Attachments

carlopmwf944March 13, 2013 04:54PM

Another great mod Carlo. The strap is a great match to the bolt hand too Thumbs Up I will move this >>>

Reto76March 14, 2013 06:25AM

Thank you Reto! (n/t)

carlopmwf112March 14, 2013 04:18PM

Cool conversion Carlo!I am also a fan of a large crowns. Looks good! (n/t)

Timemiser61March 14, 2013 04:12AM

Thank you Tim and I consider it a stepping stone toward new ideas... (n/t)

carlopmwf72March 14, 2013 04:33AM

Cool. Thumbs Up Like it with the orange stripe strap. (n/t)

Dave M71March 14, 2013 02:07AM

Thank you Dave. (n/t)

carlopmwf68March 14, 2013 04:32AM

Thumbs up! Seiko Bolt Cool (n/t)

sharkfin67March 13, 2013 10:02PM

Thanks man! (n/t)

carlopmwf59March 14, 2013 04:32AM

Very good ! Cheers!Thumbs up! (n/t)

IF58March 13, 2013 09:14PM

Thank you my friend. (n/t)

carlopmwf61March 14, 2013 04:31AM

Great work! Very nice pictures. Thumbs up! Thumbs up! (n/t)

DanB55March 13, 2013 06:29PM

Thank you Dan. (n/t)

carlopmwf66March 14, 2013 04:30AM

Thanks for sharing! Orange striped nato works best, matches the seconds hand. Thumbs up! (n/t)

benhemp61March 13, 2013 06:16PM

I thought so too. (n/t)

carlopmwf80March 14, 2013 04:30AM

I quite like dial and hands, rest not that much...

James T. Kirk©72March 13, 2013 05:50PM

Thank you Johan, I understand and not a fan either... (n/t)

carlopmwf52March 14, 2013 04:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates