Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Project tool watch

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
November 12, 2011 05:35PM
Some time ago I decided I wanted a tool watch. I did get a Casio ProTrek which is a wonderful watch and I have used it quite a bit actually. However I still wanted something mechanical. Of course there are many possibilities and options, some of which very espensive. I wanted something large but not overly large. My first choices were the marathon JSAR and/or the Ecozilla. The JSAR unfortunately was way over my budget and is also Quartz. The Ecozilla was also quartz and could not find a good piece for the price I wanted. Either one of these would have required additional funds for the conversion from quartz to mechanical which put the price even more out of reach for my meager budget. Several other options were gone through but in the end I decided that for me a good tool watch had to be solid, practical, legible and reliable. The whole package also needed to be economical.

When I saw the black dialed Seiko Divers "starfish" with the huge black bezel and humongous white markers for the first time I thought "boy that's ugly"... but when I saw the orange dialed one I thought that while it was still ugly I liked it... What I mean with this is that this watch does not have the beautiful and smooth lines and proportions of a Rolex Explorer or Diver watch, or the military beauty of a IWC pilot. With these edges sticking out and the funky shape, it was far from a beautiful watch. But I liked it and I preferred the silver bezel and the toolish appearance of the orange dialed version. This is obviously my personal opinion and someone could decide that this was the best watch in the world or so terrible that it could make him puke... well taste and is taste and that's why we have so many watches to choose from...

I took what I thought was the best part for me and decided to make a project tool watch. I already had the dial and hands in mind and now I had found the basic watch. When I finally got all the parts together I was actually happy of the result. In addition to the dial and hands I had to also get a metal ring called minute chapter ring because in many Seiko diver watches this ring provide space between the crystal and the dial and has the minutes and hours marked on it. The original one was black and since it is attached to the original dial like the Seiko Monster one, I had to get another ring. I ended up using a unmarked steel ring originally made for the Seiko monster. It seems to fit pretty well.

The dial itself is from a friend who has made a batch of these and also the hands. These were originally made for Seiko movements like SKX007 for example, he also has the chapter rings for these as well as special bezel insert that are designed after one of the versions of the 50 fathoms.

The lume is excellent and is C3. It lasts all night and is very bright, really close to Seiko lume. Last year I made a watch for my wife using the same dial, she has been wearing it every day since and even she commented on the great lume...

The case itself is all steel and dimensionally is 44mm large, a couple of mm larger then the regular SKX Seiko diver like the Seiko Monster or 007, it is also slightly taller. It is very solid and the lug holes are drilled through for ease of strap changing. The crystal is slightly recessed and hence protected by the bezel on any accidental hits on door frames or walls. I ordered a bracelet but I found out that it is coming from Singapore and it did not arrive yet. So I have not worn the watch at all yet. I had it running though and so far it seems to keep time.

I wanted to share a few photos with the forum members since this seems to be the second Seiko Starfish used for a custom project...

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Project tool watch Jpeg Attachments

carlopmwf1595November 12, 2011 05:35PM

What a great mod Carlo. I will later move this post to "Custom Watches by PMWFers" (n/t)

Reto143November 13, 2011 01:54AM

Thank you very much.

carlopmwf156November 13, 2011 06:30PM

That turned out Fantastic! Great job! Love it! (n/t)

Timemiser147November 13, 2011 01:11AM

Thank you very much.

carlopmwf141November 13, 2011 06:31PM

Thumbs up! Great mod Smile (n/t)

Anonymous User133November 12, 2011 10:38PM

Thank you very much.

carlopmwf126November 12, 2011 11:56PM

Awesome Thumbs Up Great mod. (n/t)

JP150November 12, 2011 10:34PM

Thank you for the kind words. (n/t)

carlopmwf145November 12, 2011 11:57PM

Nice going Thumbs Up (n/t)

Mark_Kershaw134November 12, 2011 07:50PM

Thanks a lot. (n/t)

carlopmwf299November 13, 2011 06:31PM

That's one sweet mod!!!! well done sir (n/t)

Cleans Up142November 12, 2011 07:33PM

Thank you very much for the kind words. (n/t)

carlopmwf167November 12, 2011 11:58PM

That is very good! Cheers! (n/t)

IF155November 12, 2011 06:30PM

Thank you. (n/t)

carlopmwf150November 12, 2011 11:58PM

That's good work! Clapping! But tell me..

Anonymous User155November 12, 2011 05:52PM

I picked up one of these same dials, and it's great smile

Cleans Up161November 12, 2011 07:32PM

Not a problem, if anyone needs it I can provide his email... (n/t)

carlopmwf130November 12, 2011 11:59PM

Very simply...

carlopmwf164November 12, 2011 06:01PM

Ah! A simple story.. but a good one nevertheless! Thank you!

Anonymous User152November 13, 2011 01:39AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates