Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

My Fourth and final Mod. Orient 2er00001b

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
August 21, 2011 06:40AM
Mediocre pic of my latest mod.
Orient (discontinued) 2er00001b. I'll start by saying that between the Invicta 8926, the Alpha Sub and the Orient 2er00001b, the Orient CRUSHES. The fit and finish is unmatched. I won't go into detail but I'll say that the finer points of the shape and form of the orient case and bezel is simply more elegant and better than the competition. It's a shame that this model is discontinued. They do still sell a blue version with a sapphire crystal but at a much higher price point. To the details:

What I did:
•Stripped the dial and repainted with Krylon Flat White
•Stripped the lume from 2 sets of Ofrei's silver sports hands. Used the 150 Hour hand from one set and resized a 75 minute hand to 85 from the other set. Sanded and painted with Krylon Flat Black. Relumed with AF Super Luminova White from Ofrei.
•Relumed the original Seconds Hand (20, 22??) with the same AF Superluminova White, leaving the hand silver.

WHAT I LEARNED:
The Watch:
As I stated above; in my opinion, the Orient is simply a better product than the Alpha and Invicta (barring the lume).
The case and bezel are beautiful.
The bracelet is slightly thin and does taper to 16mm but is solid with a great brushed finish and is remarkably comfortable. I love it.
The movement does not hand wind or hack but is top notch. The date set function clicks over super fast and smooth.
The indexes are not individual pieces affixed to the dial like the Alpha and invicta, rather they are stamped into the dial and chromed (how the hell did that accomplish that?!).
The black finish on the dial seems to be a black anodize (or something?) with a clear coat finish on top.
The lume is terrible as it is simply a super thin painted coat of lume on top of the stamped and chromed indexes.
The hand sizes seem to be 85, 150, (19,20, or 22ish)

The Process:
After a bath in lacquer thinner I used up a whole Burgeon fiberglass pencil tool thingy getting all the black finish off of the dial. Yes I wore a mask. It was a pain in the butt.
Painting a dial with built in indexes is very very difficult. It took days. Days.
Painting hands is a huge amount of work. Days.
Reluming large hands is tricky getting a thick enough dose of lume on them.
Applying additional coats of lume on hands is crazy hard. It's like trying to make a line on a dry erase board darker. The additional lume glue will dissolve the original glue. I gave up and settled for slightly too thin of an application. It still looks great.

Conclusion:
Watch modifying in general is incredibly painstaking, time intensive and all consuming. After I finished this watch I packed up my kit and put it away. I don't think I'll be doing any watch work in the near future. While I'm very pleased with the results I've achieved in my short excursion into the world of watch modding, it's simply too much work to get the results I'm after. Thanks to everyone here at PMWF for all your input. While I'm "quitting" for the time being it's not to say I won't be back some day. And it's certainly not to say that what I've learned hasn't changed the way I look at things. As a designer I have a new appreciation for detail that I simply wouldn't have if it weren't for these tiny little machines and those who share their knowledge of them. Thanks again and here's a pic. (I'll follow up with better ones soon. The seconds hand looks black. It's actually silver.)

Photobucket
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Fourth and final Mod. Orient 2er00001b Image Attachments

NeoWatchMonkey4122August 21, 2011 06:40AM

Re: My Fourth and final Mod. Orient 2er00001b

navaar388December 13, 2011 03:35PM

Re: My Fourth and final Mod. Orient 2er00001b

VoodooDance558September 15, 2011 08:51PM

Wow! Bravo for this!Cheers!Thumbs up!Cheers! (n/t)

IF165August 22, 2011 07:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates