Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

From wost purchase (Tag Heuer) to... today's gifts

peretzmatthew  
Current mood:
December 22, 2013 09:54PM
Hi,
I’m Matthew and I live in Croton on Hudson, NY. I wanted to introduce myself and tell you a bit about my own watch his-tory.

In about 1989, in an impulsive, “I’ve got a credit card and I just graduated college” move, I went to an expensive watch dealer in NYC near Madison Square Garden (remember, this is before online shopping).

I ended up spending about $700 (in 1989) on the Tag Heuer watch you see below. It was, quite literally, the worst purchase I ever made,and frankly it is, in several senses, the WORST WATCH I have ever purchased. This watch, as you can see, (please excuse all of my bad smartphone photos) doesn’t have the original band (because it broke ages ago) and if you look closely you can see that the chronograph doesn’t reset properly.

About 10 years ago we actually sent it in to Tag and I think spent like $300 for them to ‘service’ the watch and fix it. Obviously that never happened and I don’t’ know why. To me, this is now $1,000 into this watch and I think that it’s ugly and broken (as far as the chronograph – which I don’t use, but for symmetry it would be nice it it reset the way it should). The watch functions perfectly as a watch but it's supposed to be a chronograph...

It’s the most expensive watch I EVER bought and, to me, the WORST WATCH I have ever owned. It’s as authentic as it gets – it’s got all kinds of serial numbers and it was from a high end watch dealer.

It’s the most money I EVER spent on a personal item – except for my Leica IIIf Red Dial 1952 camera with it’s associated lens. Which works.

The lesson I learned? I don’t think it’s worth spending a lot on watches, which is probably why I joined THIS forum and not watchuseek or somewhere else.

I have about 15 watches and not one of them cost more than $200 (although I don’t know what my parents paid for the Lasalle watch I have but I doubt it was that much).

After this Tag Heuer, I was kind of turned off. Over time, I kind of absorbed the idea that watches were HIGHLY suspect in terms of 'value' and a correlation between cost and quality (meaning 1:1 the more you spend the better). I heard about people with Timex watches that they claimed were far better value propositions (not status symbols of course) than their Rolexes. I'm sure this isn't exactly news here.

I am definitely materialistic in the sense that I value material items if, and only if, they are either functional in the moment (like a good smartphone) or the are finely made or crafted and I can somehow verify that. That being said, I have never had the money again to even think about spending a lot on watches, so I have had to find 'fun' and decent watches that are probably mostly pejoratively called "fashion watches."

What do I know. My plastic Swatch and my Casio G-Shock are the two watches that I have had for OVER 20 years without a single thing to do except a rare battery change.

The most indestructible watch I have ever owned is my Casio G-Shock, also circa 1992:

The most fun $10 I ever spent on a watch - my lava watch:

A Lasalle watch (something about Jean Lasalle by Seiko I think) - given to me by my parents - extremely nice and zero maintenance:

Two Gifts from my wife yesterday - A Vestal Doppler watch and an Orient Blue Mako

Yay! My wife gave me a gift of two watches yesterday that I was not expecting, although I had been looking at them...

My first automatic watch - EVER!!!! A gorgeous (to me) Orient Blue Mako and an 'edgy' and semi-minimalist (albeit HUMONGOUS) Vestal Doppler.

I had NO idea that I was even going to like an 'automatic' watch and I took it out and saw how the second hand moves so smoothly and how gorgeous the blue color of the dial was and I was hooked. For the money (as I had read) I am in awe of the apparent (time will tell smile quality of the Orient Mako - for $140. I'm worried that since I have so many watches, though, it's going to wind down and be dead when I want to wear it. So I almost feel obligated to put it into regular rotation just because of that. Not that I have a problem with that, but there is that issue with these automatic watches. I know people get winders -but that's jumping ahead a bit for me.

I had to keep it under $200, and I must have looked at (quite literally) and read about thousands of watches. I had never heard of Orient, but everybody kept saying how great the were for the money and for under $200 I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this Blue Mako. I could have gotten a Blue Ray but couldn't exactly find one at the moment it came to buying. I have no idea about the Vestal but it's like a monstrosity - and probably made in China.... of course since they don't really make watches their Website doesn't even pretend to say what's inside it. It feels like it's built like a tank though - and it has a very three dimensional face. Someone certainly cares about the 'designs' of these watches - and it is one that Watchismo sells and I liked it more than the Canteen watch by far and more than any Nixon I saw under $200.

Well... .I'm sure that in March, for my birthday, I'll be getting something else. I was thinking about (if my parents give me gift money) either a Bernhardt watch or a Tissot dress watch. I could use a black leather band, white face dress watch that looks somewhat elegant.

One thing I can say though is that I'm never buying a very expensive watch, even if I have the money. Maybe if I were rich and didn't care and could afford returns and maintenance, I'd do it. Kid of like owning a Ferrari - it's gorgeous but like all Italian high end sports cars you can expect serious maintenance costs. I guess you don't buy it if you can't afford it. Oh well, there goes my Buggati Veyron....

But serious, I'm 48 and I've been unemployed for a long time and I'm back in school trying to change careers... to cybersecurity! So I'm in no position to buy expensive anything except when I am given some gift money!!!! Thank you to my wife and parents!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

From wost purchase (Tag Heuer) to... today's gifts Image Attachments

peretzmatthew329December 22, 2013 09:54PM

Re: From wost purchase (Tag Heuer) to... today's gifts

peretzmatthew66December 23, 2013 08:27PM

Bernhardt watches, in my opinion, are of great quality and well-built!Smile Jpeg Attachments

IF60December 24, 2013 05:38AM

Re: has anybody heard of his weird BullToro brand URL

James T. Kirk©139December 23, 2013 10:27PM

Re: has anybody heard of his weird BullToro brand

peretzmatthew71December 23, 2013 10:48PM

So well then, obviously not...Smile (n/t)

James T. Kirk©45December 24, 2013 01:18AM

Re: So well then, obviously not...Smile

peretzmatthew46December 24, 2013 01:44AM

Welcome to PMWF! to PMWF neighbor! I used to live in Croton. (n/t)

StefG47December 23, 2013 08:11PM

Welcome to PMWF! to the PMWF. Thanks for the history of your watch journey. Congrats. (n/t)

Mark C.48December 23, 2013 02:52PM

Welcome to PMWF! Sounds like this is the place for you Thumbs up!. (n/t)

Larry47December 23, 2013 11:11AM

Welcome to PMWF!

Dave P54December 23, 2013 03:52AM

Re: Welcome to PMWF!

peretzmatthew94December 23, 2013 04:35AM

Welcome to PMWF! What a great introduction! >>

Dave M55December 23, 2013 02:55AM

Re: Welcome to PMWF! What a great introduction! >>

peretzmatthew58December 23, 2013 03:05AM

Well, here you are connected with people all over the world!

James T. Kirk©52December 23, 2013 10:24AM

Welcome to PMWF! to the PMWF, well you will find all kinds...

James T. Kirk©55December 22, 2013 10:57PM

Re: Welcome to PMWF! to the PMWF, well you will find all kinds...

peretzmatthew72December 23, 2013 03:17AM

You have interesting viewpoints! Laughing

James T. Kirk©70December 23, 2013 10:44AM

Re: You have interesting viewpoints! Laughing

peretzmatthew56December 23, 2013 05:38PM

Re: "Android":And they all start to look the same so one is enough for me Jpeg Attachments

James T. Kirk©45December 23, 2013 06:42PM

Re: "Android":And they all start to look the same so one is enough for me

peretzmatthew46December 23, 2013 07:03PM

You obviously haven't clicked my "state of the collection"...

James T. Kirk©51December 23, 2013 10:09PM

Re: You obviously haven't clicked my "state of the collection"...

peretzmatthew54December 23, 2013 10:18PM

Re: Ever hear of this Hexa watch...BullToro brand?

James T. Kirk©57December 23, 2013 10:51PM

Re: Ever hear of this Hexa watch...BullToro brand?

peretzmatthew55December 23, 2013 10:57PM

Welcome to PMWF! to pmwf!Smile Jpeg Attachments

IF55December 23, 2013 06:46AM

Re: Welcome to PMWF! to pmwf!Smile

peretzmatthew51December 23, 2013 05:49PM

Re: Welcome to PMWF! to the PMWF, well you will find all kinds...

peretzmatthew58December 22, 2013 11:01PM

Don't worry about the Mako running down....

BobbyMike67December 23, 2013 02:31AM

Re: Don't worry about the Mako running down....

peretzmatthew91December 23, 2013 02:44AM

Re: I'd throw the watch away, except that it works

James T. Kirk©51December 23, 2013 10:22AM

Re: I'd throw the watch away, except that it works

peretzmatthew59December 23, 2013 05:56PM

ReI am confused!o I can't imagine that it's worth anything.

James T. Kirk©48December 23, 2013 06:46PM

Re: ReI am confused!o I can't imagine that it's worth anything.

peretzmatthew56December 23, 2013 06:53PM

Hey, even $ 100 can you buy a nice Vostok and a Murphy bezel! Wink

James T. Kirk©51December 23, 2013 10:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates