Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Water drop test on Crystal

DRFP  
Current mood:
March 18, 2013 05:07PM
I cleaned this brand new out of the box Crystal with 91% Isopropyl Acohol

Orient FEU07008DX

to test this

Drop of water

"There are two fool-proof tests to differentiate a sapphire crystal from a mineral crystal:

1) the colour test - look at the edge of the crystal. A sapphire crystal will have a pinkish hue, a mineral crystal will have a greenish hue.

2) the water test - place large drops of water on the crystal, then tilt the watch and watch the water slide off. On the sapphire crystal, water will easily slide off - leaving small well-formed round globules of water on the surface. On the mineral crystal - most of the water will "stick" to the crystal and the drops of water will spread across the surface of the crystal to form a non-uniform "puddle" instead of sliding off.

Try both tests on watches you know have sapphire crystals or mineral crystals and the results will become immediately apparent to you. Test number 1 doesn't always work if the edge of the crystal is not a clear polished finish (instead an opaque powder finish) - and can be confusing before a comparison test is performed."

I just found this on Timezone, I'd remembered hearing about the water test in the past.
I just tested it on my S-1 w/ a flat mineral crystal. I couldn't see any "hue", green or pink. However, when I just did the water test, the water "puddled" instead of "beading". I don't have a watch w/ me that has a sapphire crystal to compare with.

I would assume that the reason the water puddles on the mineral crystal is that the surface isn't as regular or smooth as it might appear to be, so the water drags across the microscopic imperfections. A sapphire crystal probably doesn't have these, but rather a much smoother surface due to the much denser, regular crystaline structure. Probably the reason that it doesn't scratch either.

NOW the tests

Stuhrling Mineral Crystal about the same size of this watch

Right away the big drop broke apart and spread

Across the whole face look close here

Even the small drop broke and did the same, I repeated this twice with same results after a cleaning each time

Now the Orient Calendar that is supposed to be Sapphire

It looks like it might break but repeated this three times and same it stayed together as seen here

Intact at the end too, three times, touched it with fingers and then cleaned well with Alcohol and then cloth, I did both watches this way

So what do you think? I like the watch either way

"Bill"

MY watch Blog
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Water drop test on Crystal Jpeg Attachments

DRFP248March 18, 2013 05:07PM

Re: Water drop test on Crystal part two again with Monster Vs OC Jpeg Attachments

DRFP99March 18, 2013 11:24PM

I can't see the water test as valid ..........

Robmks65March 18, 2013 06:50PM

Re: I can't see the water test as valid ..........

DRFP49March 18, 2013 10:59PM

+1, I never bought into that (n/t)

MCV53March 18, 2013 07:26PM

Re: +1, I never bought into that

DRFP75March 18, 2013 10:54PM

Re: +1, I never bought into that

Robmks52March 19, 2013 12:12AM

Re: I guess I just feel the property is supposed to be molecular

DRFP56March 19, 2013 12:30AM

I believe that I'll side with Bill on this question. >>

Dave M70March 19, 2013 02:00AM

That's way over my head. We need Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Smile (n/t)

Robmks51March 19, 2013 02:55AM

Re: I believe that I'll side with Bill on this question., I thought about it

DRFP55March 19, 2013 02:35AM

I don't worry about it, I buy name brand watches and if they say...

MCV60March 18, 2013 11:18PM

Or you do it as in Sottomarino's reviews on You Tube

James T. KirkĀ©62March 18, 2013 05:33PM

Re: Or you do it as in Sottomarino's reviews on You Tube

DRFP71March 18, 2013 05:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates