Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

A weekend of watchspotting

March 18, 2013 05:00PM
It's so common for me to look for watches on wrists I hardly notice I'm doing it anymore. FAR more often than not, if I do spy a watch, it turns out to be some sort of fashion flash or a rubber sports varient.

THIS weekend, I spotted some cool stuff! Mostly it was standing in line while getting the weekend errands sorted out. I never feel comfortable asking to take a picture, but did chat up a couple fellows.

Friday - From across the grocery store I spotted an Orange Monster and nearly tackled the guy to compliment him on it. I had on my black version coincidentally. I would guess him to be @ 58-60 and he said he had been a diver since 15. His Seiko was about 10 years old as is mine, though his had seen a bunch of underwater time. Later that day I stopped into Starbucks and noticed the guy waiting for his drink was wearing a Rolex Explorer II. I made mention of it and he seemed surprised I knew what it was. He was a cop and got talked into buying it by one of his fellow officers. They all gave him static because he chose the GMT over a Sub!! I told him it was much cooler that he didnt care about the status of the thing and beat the hell out of it like it was a g-shock!

Saturday - Old dude at the bank had on the most incredibly patina'd 5513 Submariner I have ever seen. I am kicking myself for not snagging a picture of that one. He said he's worn it every day since 1962 (first production of the 5513 BTW!!) aside from it being serviced. I commented on how clean it was and he told me he wiped it down every night with a "fine wool cloth". I also saw a Hamilton Khaki on the teller.

Sunday - ANOTHER Explorer II, an Omega Planet Ocean, and Omega SMP, and my buddy had on his dads vintage Breitling Navitimer back from a complete restoration! AND THEN...while checking out at the hardware store the Russian couple behind me were chatting when I heard "Wostok". I turned around and they were smiling and pointing at my Amphibia! He was wearing an older hand wind and they were laughing that they didnt know anyone outside Russia had even heard of Vostok. I told them there was a big following and that it was one of my favorite watches.

Pretty fun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 07:37PM by jinxed.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A weekend of watchspotting

jinxed237March 18, 2013 05:00PM

That's a lot of watch spotting for a weekend. That's great Brad.

Dave P52March 20, 2013 04:54AM

Good job Brad, watch spotting sure is fun Thumbs Up smile (n/t)

Reto46March 19, 2013 06:27AM

Forgot to mention: I admire your initiative to talk to the people Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto47March 19, 2013 06:36AM

Due to work, I am constantly meeting young tech-zillionaires...

Ethan_Mack78March 19, 2013 04:31AM

The conversations that followed the spotting are what make it so special.

Timemiser49March 19, 2013 04:26AM

Great story! Thumbs Up I agree, the closer one gets to >>

Dave M43March 19, 2013 03:09AM

That is a fun sub-hobby of being a WIS.

Smaug61March 18, 2013 08:59PM

Re: That is a fun sub-hobby of being a WIS.

jinxed54March 18, 2013 09:55PM

SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF48March 18, 2013 07:12PM

I enjoyed the read and guess had you tried to take pics the story wouldn't have been as picturesque (n/t)

jackrobinson49March 18, 2013 06:59PM

What a good and productive weekend!!, But, .......... Gif Attachments

JohnnyT68March 18, 2013 05:20PM

I know I know...

jinxed60March 18, 2013 05:30PM

Re: you get the picture, so to speak: Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off (n/t)

James T. Kirk©42March 18, 2013 05:30PM

Great story!...

James T. Kirk©48March 18, 2013 05:13PM

Re: Great story!...

jinxed61March 18, 2013 05:40PM

Re:Having a great conversation regarding a $40 Vostok is worth more than the watch.

James T. Kirk©55March 18, 2013 06:13PM

Neat, I really need to get out more! (n/t)

BobbyMike54March 18, 2013 05:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates