Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Poor Man Diver - Ecozilla

Your ad here? Please mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesYour ad here? Please mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesYour ad here? Please mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Your ad here? Please mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
January 27, 2013 05:52PM
Within the Dive watch category there are lots and lots of models, brands, etc. some are expensive and some are cheap. Some are well made and some are flawed. I have and had a number of dive watches but there was one I wanted to check out for a while, the Citizen Ecozilla. I never had a chance to before because due to the size, shape and price it was always a little farther then my reach, until a few days ago. I found a great deal on the watch sales forums and was lucky enough to snatch it.

If there is a watch that imparts the impression of being a Diver’s watch, in my opinion, it is the Citizen Ecozilla. Every time I look at it I think of a ship’s porthole, and after that I think to one of those dive suit’s helmets… the shape and look of the case and dial remind me of those. It seems to me that this watch was built with that purpose in mind, using it under water.

So what do I think about it? Well, there are good things and things that could be improved.

I think that proprietary rubber strap and set up is the worst thing for this watch, in my opinion of course. It kind of forces a user to buy and use Citizen proprietary straps which don’t fit my wrist. It would have been better if they had put on it regular lugs that took different type of straps and/or braceletc.

The other point is the crown at left, I am sure that left handed people like that, but I am not left handed so it is a PITA for me to set the time etc. Maybe they could have made two models, one with the crown at left and one with the crown at right.

The dial is small in proportion to the huge bezel and the markers are large as well as the hands, it makes it a little indefinite to establish the exact time since each marker spans between 3 and 5 minute markers. Not a big deal, just a comment really.

The watch is also pretty tall and sticks out from the wrist quite a bit.

As for the good things, which certainly overcome any of the above, I have to say that:

The watch is awesome in size, solidity and functionality.

Some great WIS designed and produced what Citizen should have done from the beginning, straps adapters. I happen to have the adapters from Walter (Canada) and they work perfectly for me. I put the watch on a 24mm Zulu strap and have been wearing it for the past couple of days. It is very comfortable.

The large markers and hands have lots of lume material and this is a nice cool blue that is bright and visible, lasts all night and is excellent. The color is really cool I think.

The movement is quartz EcoDrive and is powered by the light.

The bezel is a couple of mm taller then the glass and therefore protects it from damage, scratches etc.

I even like the fluorescent red minute hand.

With a WR of 300m this is a great watch that can be used for diving but it seems a great watch for every day use too. In other words it is a cool watch that has a good presence and good looks, in my opinion of course.

See some pics below, note my wrist is about 8” for reference. Sorry for any dust spec or lint.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Poor Man Diver - Ecozilla Jpeg Attachments

carlopmwf359January 27, 2013 05:52PM

that has always been one awesome watch! (n/t)

anjizkit53January 29, 2013 12:00AM

Great watch and great Watch or Accessory Review Cheers! (n/t)

James T. Kirk©85January 28, 2013 10:24AM

Thank you my friend. (n/t)

carlopmwf53January 28, 2013 04:21PM

Congrats Carlo, an iconic diver for sure Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto72January 28, 2013 06:25AM

Thank you Reto, I am making this my daily wearer... (n/t)

carlopmwf58January 28, 2013 04:21PM

I've always liked that one too, but I don't have the bone structure to carry off a watch of that size Blushing

Dave P64January 28, 2013 04:57AM

You know I have seen people with wrists as small as 6 1/2" wearing one of these...

carlopmwf63January 28, 2013 04:23PM

The adapters plus the NATO really make it attractive to me....

BobbyMike78January 28, 2013 02:47AM

The watch on adapters was the only way I could ever wear this. Very comfortable.

carlopmwf69January 28, 2013 04:26PM

Re: I am used to the crown to the right

James T. Kirk©58January 28, 2013 08:10PM

awesome watch but take care of the ecodrive part

Bill J.52January 28, 2013 02:19AM

Thank you for the data. I guess it would have a long power reserve

carlopmwf47January 28, 2013 04:28PM

That is a hunk of a diver! I have always liked those too, especially the lume.

Timemiser61January 28, 2013 12:36AM

The lume is really cool because it is blue, Different in a good way... (n/t)

carlopmwf57January 28, 2013 04:29PM

plus 1. I've always been attracted to those. (n/t)

Lawrence Talbot45January 28, 2013 01:16AM

It took me a while to get one but I think it is good I did. I really like it. (n/t)

carlopmwf41January 28, 2013 04:29PM

Around 2005-2008 that was easily the most flipped watch on PMWF.

Chris L68January 27, 2013 11:51PM

There are several on sale on the watch forums, In a period of a week, there is always one

carlopmwf69January 28, 2013 04:31PM

I'll take a look if there is on in my price range.. Wink (n/t)

James T. Kirk©33January 28, 2013 08:11PM

Well, I think I would keep such a watch! The only thing is...

James T. Kirk©61January 28, 2013 01:00PM

Hey Johan, you just have to look and be patient. Then move swiftly and pounce... URL

carlopmwf81January 28, 2013 04:34PM

Yeah well, can't afford them, that's for sure... I am crying (n/t)

James T. Kirk©42January 28, 2013 08:13PM

Well, that's what WIS do... don't they? Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off

carlopmwf71January 27, 2013 11:55PM

Thumbs up!Congrats and enjoy it, Carlos. (n/t)

Mark C.57January 27, 2013 10:33PM

Thank you. (n/t)

carlopmwf58January 27, 2013 11:57PM

Looks very good! Thumbs up!Smile (n/t)

IF53January 27, 2013 10:06PM

Thank you very much. (n/t)

carlopmwf51January 27, 2013 11:57PM

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool (n/t)

cmoy54January 27, 2013 07:32PM

thank you, certainly good value... (n/t)

carlopmwf56January 27, 2013 11:58PM

Thumbs Up I had 2 plus an AutoZilla and I wouldn't mind owning one again blushing!

Micha68January 27, 2013 07:21PM

While the Autozilla is a higher quality watch, I too prefer the looks of the EcoZilla...

carlopmwf69January 28, 2013 12:02AM

I liked the EcoDrive, the crown on the AutoZilla felt like it didn't like to be opened and closed that much...

Micha44January 28, 2013 05:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates