Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

How many sherpas do you need to Explore Everest??

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
January 05, 2013 07:27PM
Playing with words there, though very on point.

I am facing one of the common wis decisions...do I sacrifice some pieces to get something new, and will I regret it if I do? Maybe. But as I've moved through several watches over the years, I've settled down to a select few that get the most wear. That leaves me with multiple pieces that sit unused. Problem is, I like them all for varying reasons and making cuts becomes a mental circus of pros, cons, and justifications. I enjoy the thought of a smaller group and am now taking steps to cut down. SO looking to the horizon for something new is helpful. It seems I collect several pieces deciding what I want, then these sherpas that have carried me through get rounded up and dismissed. Enter the mental maze.

There are two vintage watches that for me are as close to perfect as it gets. The IWC Mk XI, and the Rolex 1016 Explorer. Both are exquisite in their simplicity, increasingly rare, and will never be logical for me to own. I'm ok with that.

That said, the Timefactors PRS-25 Smiths Everest has been of very particular interest to me and I've almost talked myself into finding one. It marks (nearly) all the boxes for me. Acrylic crystal, simple dial, Smiths name, modern reliability, and every Timefactors watch Ive seen has been tip top quality. The questions?....Well, the size first off. To be honest, the original 36mm case would fit my 6.75 wrist perfectly but this one is scaled up to 40. I go back and forth on how this affects the the Smiths. Yes the majority of my pieces are 42mm and are worn comfortably, so I'm not worried about the fit so much as the proportion of the design. Its seemingly well done from pictures, and "on the wrist" is impossible to discern till its actually there. Still, I much prefer the vintage styling of the modern Smiths over the modern 39mm Explorer. The other concern is the movement. Ive only had issues with one movement that happened to be a Seiko, and was taken care of under warranty. I am not a movement snob, and do not service my own watches. I do however like having a varied collection of different movements. The Smiths is powered by the relatively new 9000 series Miyota which has been getting good reviews. I have a couple other Miyota (8k series) powered that have been problem free so I have no worries about the performance or reliability. The hang up is, that to go after the Smiths, I would have to give up my 3133 powered Poljot. This is where the irrational WIS takes over. I dont wear the Poljot hardly at all, Ive never removed the back to admire the 3133, but I like that I own it. It's my ONLY 3133 powered watch. The rational side returns and says that's a dumb reason to keep a watch...you should get one you'll enjoy owning AND wear. Same goes for my CWC G-10. Love that it's an Issued watch with solid spring bars, but have only worn it few times.

Comments are welcome on my mental acrobatics, but I'm also curious about the collecting habits of the masses. I've gone through cycles of amassing and thinning, but for the last year have been content wearing a few and find the fires cooled on the frantic additions.

Do you ever line up a potential chopping block?

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

How many sherpas do you need to Explore Everest?? Jpeg Attachments

jinxed413January 05, 2013 07:27PM

Sorry Brad, I can’t help you. I am probably one of the worst when it comes to this.

Timemiser95January 07, 2013 04:06AM

It is really a personal preference

carlopmwf134January 06, 2013 08:15PM

In regards to the Everest...

jinxed138January 06, 2013 11:18PM

Decisions, Decisions.....Waiting

Ethan_Mack141January 06, 2013 02:25PM

Re: Decisions, Decisions.....Waiting

jinxed136January 06, 2013 11:38PM

I still TRY to sell some off, but nobody's buying in this economy....

James T. Kirk©124January 06, 2013 12:40PM

I am definitely in the hoarder category. I have never and >>>

Reto126January 06, 2013 07:48AM

+1 I've made "plans" to sell about 10... and just couldn't follow through Blushing

Nuvolari93January 07, 2013 01:45AM

Re: and find a sudden calling to wear and enjoy the potential sale nominees

James T. Kirk©91January 07, 2013 09:19AM

Oh, sure, there's a chopping block here. But there's that other force...>>

Dave M132January 06, 2013 04:07AM

Categorically speaking...

jinxed136January 07, 2013 12:06AM

You and I have a similar approach to this Brad.

Chris L164January 05, 2013 10:06PM

You hit on a solid point...

jinxed149January 06, 2013 12:26AM

This may or may not help........

Anonymous User137January 05, 2013 09:55PM

Re: This may or may not help........

jinxed142January 06, 2013 12:33AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates