Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

New Invicta 9937 under the Christmas tree - need for adjustment?

December 28, 2012 04:35AM
Hi, brand new to the forum. For the past 20 years or so I've worn the Swiss Army Victorinox quartz watch pictured next to the Invicta. I got the Victorinox in a department store for $29, and it's actually been an incredibly durable and nice-looking watch, standing up to yard chores, snorkling, actually pretty much every activity I do (other than golf). The original band was a cheap hollow-link thing that eventually broke, and when I replaced that with a nice-quality Hadley Roma stainless oyster band, the watch became even more beloved (as much as a $29 watch + $40 band can become beloved anyway). Smile It was a watch that was perfectly suited for blue jeans and tee shirts, casual office wear, or my best suits.

But after 20 years with the same watch, I just wanted a change. My real dream watch is a Rolex Submariner. I have loved these watches for more than 30 years. I may well treat myself to one on retirement. In the meantime, I have looked long and hard at less expensive options.

My research has included lurking on this forum for a couple years now, so I know the basics. Before settling on the Invicta, I considered the Tag Aquaracer, Vostok K3 submarine watch, Seiko Orange Monster, Dievas Aqualuna Blue, and the Sandoz Submariner auto. The Swiss movement, quality of the band, exhibition back, homage to the Submariner, and the price were big factors in my decision. Once I made up my mind, I added the watch to the Christmas list I made for my wife, and if she got it, great - otherwise I would have continued my window shopping.

It's only been two days with the Invicta and I do love it. It is similar in size to the Victorinox though the band is just a bit more massive, making it slightly heavier. I have a very small wrist and after removing two links from each side, the watch fits perfectly. Despite the slight increase in weight, the Invicta is actually more comfortable than the Victorinox because the band attachment at the lugs fits the curve of my wrist more natually.

So now on to the performance. I synched the watch with the Official U.S. Time website and then checked it 24 hours later. The first day the watch ran about 12 seconds fast. I reset it, and 24 hours later it had gained 12 seconds again. So it's consistent.

I do take the watch off when I go to bed, and the first two nights I just laid it flat on the nightstand. I read in some forums that laying it on its side with the crown up or down may cause the watch to run slower. I will experiment with this to see if it makes a difference.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible the watch performance will change slightly after it is broken in?
  2. Is 12 seconds considered okay for "out of the box"?
  3. If I did decide to make an attempt at regulating it, would I be looking at the gross regulation or the fine regulation (per the attached picture)?
  4. Finally, if I did open up the back, is it imperitive that I replace the gasket?

Edit: the Victorinox crystal is not really cloudy - it looks like that because of bad picture quality and lighting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 05:46AM by wjones14.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

New Invicta 9937 under the Christmas tree - need for adjustment? Jpeg Attachments URL

wjones14562December 28, 2012 04:35AM

+12s is fine

Smaug95December 28, 2012 06:07PM

I think 12 second accuracy is pretty good by mechanical standards. I'd live with it (n/t)

Ed Brandwein93December 28, 2012 03:33PM

Nice looking watch! Welcome to PMWF! to the forum.

Timemiser83December 28, 2012 06:11PM

Welcome to PMWF! Enjoy the watch and follow Dave's advice. Thumbs up! (n/t)

Robmks89December 28, 2012 02:23PM

Welcome to PMWF! to PMWF and congrats on your new watch...

Dave M78December 28, 2012 01:10PM

Welcome to PMWF! here. Can't help you with the Invicta...

James T. KirkĀ©84December 28, 2012 09:59AM

Fine regulation only

solex83December 28, 2012 04:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates