Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Jumbo SAR Navy, 4th Generation?

December 11, 2012 05:41PM
I like military styles watches as well as divers and for a long time I had wanted to check out the Marathon watches because they were both. The regular SAR however seemed a little small for my 8" wrist so a couple of months ago I sold a few watches I was not wearing and got a Jumbo SAR. I liked that so much that I sold more watches and got a second one, then traded another watch for a third one.

The case is really nice, a little on a beefy side of things, it well made with quality materials. Mostly brushed in accordance to military traditions to not use polished surfaces which could be too shiny and send off reflections and glare, the finish is really nice.

Thick lugs seem indestructable but have practical drilled through holes for ease of strap changed. The bezel is also tall and easy to grasp, secure in action and pretty smooth. to turn, however in the time I have worn the watches never once turned by mistake. The bezel seems thick because the crystal is also thick sapphire, when I tap on it it's like tapping on a block of granite, it does not sound like glass but thick solid rock almost.

The crown is also one of my favorite, not too large it is long enough to stick out from the crown guards which are made so one can easily grasp and turn it, the surface is textured so as to allow a nice grip and the crown turn easily, in or out. The caseback reminds me of a miniature safe, it seems thick and secure. The whole watch is so in fact and if I had to define it with just one word, I would use the word "solid".

The dial is military looking with good lume that lasts all night, this is I guess their brand of luminova that require charging to glow rather then Tritium. The hands... well they looked like corn dogs. I actually got used to them after a bit and did not mind them as much as before, but since I have three of them I decided to give it a try and change the looks a bit. The task was not easy since there are no readily available hands that would fit the movement and the large dial. Most hands seem thin and short on the large dial. However I had an idea, in looking at another watch that I have I saw that the hands were large and longer then normal. The watch is a Seiko SRP043. So I decided to give it a go and got a set of hands for the hour and minute. Then ordered a black seconds hand from Ofrei.

Put these together and close everything up. The minute hand reaches the markers just right and overall it seems to me that it looks pretty good. The lume is very similar and is excellent Seiko standard.

I decided this was a successful project and hence I decided to share some pictures of what a 4th Generation Jumbo SAR could look like, I like to think of this as the NAVY edition.

Please pardon any dust spec or lint on the photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2012 06:33PM by carlopmwf.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jumbo SAR Navy, 4th Generation?

carlopmwf370December 11, 2012 05:41PM

Nice mod Carlo, I fell for the SAR too! Outstanding watchesClapping! (n/t)

jeremd67668December 13, 2012 01:07PM

Thank you Jeremy. (n/t)

carlopmwf56December 13, 2012 05:57PM

One of my absolute favorite tool watches and those hands just add to the wow factor!

Timemiser70December 13, 2012 02:09AM

Thank you and one more tweak and I think it will be even better. (n/t)

carlopmwf70December 13, 2012 05:58PM

Very nice looking mod.Thumbs up! Congrats and enjoy Carlo. (n/t)

Mark C.81December 12, 2012 02:24PM

Thank you and I am doing just that. (n/t)

carlopmwf69December 12, 2012 04:22PM

Great job! I had a hard time with the corn dogs as well. (n/t)

Dave M92December 12, 2012 11:46AM

I always saw them as the sails of a windmill, well, I'm Dutch! Laughing (n/t)

James T. KirkĀ©78December 12, 2012 06:15PM

The objects one compare them to have been only limited to one's imagination... LOL (n/t)

carlopmwf69December 13, 2012 05:59PM

Thank you and yes, we are not the only ones... LOL (n/t)

carlopmwf68December 12, 2012 04:25PM

Looks fantastic - a match made in heaven! Thumbs Up Go Navy! laughing (n/t)

Nuvolari68December 12, 2012 06:46AM

Thank you for the kind words. (n/t)

carlopmwf67December 12, 2012 04:26PM

Another great mod, congrats Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto75December 12, 2012 05:54AM

Thank you Reto. (n/t)

carlopmwf73December 12, 2012 04:27PM

Well done ! You have a good eye for upgrades , old chap . Looks like it has " the Right Stuff " (n/t)

beezerboy78December 12, 2012 03:32AM

Thank you for the very kind words. (n/t)

carlopmwf77December 12, 2012 04:34AM

Great update - hands are perfect Thumbs up! (n/t)

Ethan_Mack77December 12, 2012 03:12AM

Thank you Ethan. (n/t)

carlopmwf74December 12, 2012 04:35AM

Excellent! Thumbs up! Drooling (n/t)

James T. KirkĀ©69December 12, 2012 12:35AM

Thank you my friend. (n/t)

carlopmwf72December 12, 2012 04:35AM

Very nice indeed (n/t)

solex89December 11, 2012 07:21PM

Thank you and glad it is appreciated. (n/t)

carlopmwf94December 12, 2012 04:35AM

Great vwatches and a very well executed aesthetic upgrade(mod)!SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF97December 11, 2012 06:46PM

Thank you Ioannis and yes these are well made watches. Certainly recommended by me. (n/t)

carlopmwf89December 12, 2012 04:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates