Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Saw some crazy sh!t at the watchmakers today! Cool

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nuvolari  
Current mood:
November 17, 2012 06:41AM
Picked up my 6309-7040 (wearing it now smile), my friend's Gruen Veri-thin, & brought in a Zodiac missing a tiny screw (the original having been launched from my tweezers) but he hadn't had a chance to regulate the 214 Spaceview and he's leaving town for a couple of weeks... I am crying Oh well, something to look forward to next month smile

In anycase, I got to check out some really interesting pieces today. Unfortunately, I only had my phone but that's better than nuttin'...

First, a cool Eterna-matic awaiting COA service:

But wait, there's more! How much would you pay for a vintage Patek Philippe. Not just vintage... but vintage-high-tech

A 1972 Patek Philippe desk clock - that, get this, is SOLAR powered. But not like an Eco-drive. No, no, no. And I must say, I originally thought "Hmm, quartz technology was pretty new back then..." Because anytime you see "solar", "electric", "electronic", etc. you're usually looking at one of the great grand-daddy's of quartz movements, like Electra, Accutron, Astron, sumpin, right?

Not so fast there, Mister. This thing has a pocket watch movement, with a capaciter that is charged by the solar pannel on the top of the case. The capaciter then powers the electric winding mechanism that is only engaged with the mainspring tension drops below a certain level. Then -like a bendix-drive on a car starter- the electric winding mechanism winds the mainspring back up to full tension and then disengages. I am confused Neat, eh? smile Check it out...

Well, while we're oogling other peeps' Very Rich Man's Watch! time pieces, I thought you might also appreciate this vintage white-gold Patek, too...

So, I can't say those are things I see every day... thought I'd share with an audience that would appreciate it as much as I did smile

Thanks for looking! Cheers!

Cars-&-Watches
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Saw some crazy sh!t at the watchmakers today! Cool Jpeg Attachments

Nuvolari359November 17, 2012 06:41AM

Wow. Just wow. Okay, now drive back over there, and get a shot of>>

Dave M50November 18, 2012 03:04PM

Wowwow! That solar clock is bigtime Very Rich Man's Watch! Drooling

Ethan_Mack63November 18, 2012 12:02AM

Cool! Any chance you remember which issue... I'd like to check that out - I'm super-intriqued by the thing! (n/t)

Nuvolari62November 18, 2012 02:37AM

Re: Cool! Any chance you remember which issue... I'd like to check that out - I'm super-intriqued by the thing! URL

Ethan_Mack64November 18, 2012 06:14AM

Excellent! Thanks Mack! Thumbs Up Cheers! (n/t)

Nuvolari73November 18, 2012 09:07PM

Cool stuff! I wish I had a watchmaker near me. Frowning (n/t)

Timemiser63November 17, 2012 11:52PM

Great stuff, Michael! Thanks for sharing! Cheers! (n/t)

James T. KirkĀ©52November 17, 2012 04:15PM

Psychological, scatological, horological!Oops!Wink (n/t)

itschris56November 17, 2012 04:03PM

Looks like a enjoyable visit. Love the Eterna.Thumbs up! (n/t)

Mark C.62November 17, 2012 03:08PM

Wow, that's one cool show and tell day at the watchmaker's- thank you sharing! (n/t)

RR21867November 17, 2012 01:49PM

thanks for sharing. It's great to visit the watchmaker and see stuffThumbs up! (n/t)

jackrobinson51November 17, 2012 01:12PM

Wow! Great idea to share, Michael! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF60November 17, 2012 07:05AM

Very interesting pieces, thanks for sharing Michael Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto60November 17, 2012 06:46AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates