Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Update! Seiko 6309-7040. Sure, you know what's coming.. Smile

Anonymous User
March 31, 2011 01:58AM
..I finally fitted the Super Oyster bracelet. WooHOO! Is Happy Day!

Now, I know you don't need it, Dear Constant Reader, but if we have any newcomers reading, you can find my initial report on this watch HERE, and a previous update HERE.

So let's jump right into the photos!

Click HERE for larger photo or HERE for supersized photo

And, no, I haven't tackled the stiff bezel yet. But since I rarely actually use a Whacking Great Rotating Bezel to time things, it's no burden. Neither have I regulated the movement, and the going-rate is still running +30 sec/day.

Yup, the scratch is still there. But, again, it's way more noticeable in photos than to the naked eye and, honestly, I've pretty much ceased to notice it.

To my surprise, there was a bit of bother in fitting the bracelet! Oops! The bracelet fit the 12 o'clock lug perfectly, but wouldn't fully seat in the 6 o'clock lug. This was a bit of a puzzle, as I encountered no such problem when I had fitted the bracelet (temporarily) to the 729A. I quickly switched the ends around, and the symptom switched lugs, too, so that indicated the bracelet was the culprit. Eek! But, just to be sure, I got out the digital calipers and measured the width of the endlinks. Sure enough, one side was .18mm (that's .007 for you U.S. types Wink) larger than the other. I am confused This was just enough to cause it to bind on the one side. And it also illustrates how tightly these endlinks are designed to fit - the "good" side had a mere .09mm clearance.

The solution? Elementary my dear Watson! I fitted a super-fine bit to the Dremel®, buzzed lightly across one side of the offending endlink and..

VoilĂ ! Is Happy Day!

However, I must report that the surprises weren't over. I didn't notice until a few hours later, but when I did it caused me to do a major double-take! "WTH?! I thought this was a 100% solid-link bracelet! Crazy! Loco!" But, technically, that's not the case. Eek!

I am angry!

See it? No? OK, a closer look...

Look closely at the 'crossbar' on that first link on the flip-lock side. Yep! Folded steel! I am angry!

Now it wouldn't be so bad, but it seems that "seam side out" is the position it naturally falls into. I can roll the seam to the inside and, 10 minutes later, it's facing out again. Frowning No big deal, really, I reckon I'll lock it down with a dab o' superglue. But it is a bit of a bother and, taken along with the oversize endlink, I don't hold these Will Jean bracelets in quite the regard I did before. I mean, yeah, they're good. But Top-Tier No-Compromises Grade A-1 Kit? No. Close, but no cigar.

I will admit..

That it wears Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8! WIS Honeymoon WIS Honeymoon WIS Honeymoon

Indeed, the "wearing experience" is totally transformed. Now, perhaps this should be expected, as a bracelet generally does make a big difference. Thing is, in this case it's much more pronounced a difference than I saw with the 6309-729A! And even that makes sense, I suppose, as this is a heftier bracelet. Where the 729A Oyster tapers from 22mm to 18mm, this one starts the same but tapers to only 20mm. Whatever, the difference feels huge, and all of a sudden the 7040 comes on like a pretty big watch after all. Wink

Of course, I HAD to try for a group shot!

And, amazingly enough, I nailed it in two tries.

Thus emboldened, I went for the Dual Hairy Wrist Shot inside! Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off

In fact, I went for it nearly a dozen times, and that's the best I could do. Frowning

What can I say? Blushing It's harder than it sounds on paper and Eek! anyway, when it comes to photography, I ain't exactly the sharpest pencil in the cup. I am crying

A B+ for effort, maybe? Smile

Thanks for lookin' y'all!

Cheers!

-Ricky

Live long and prosper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2011 03:33AM by Ricky Lee.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Update! Seiko 6309-7040. Sure, you know what's coming.. Smile Image Attachments URL

Anonymous User2877March 31, 2011 01:58AM

Congrats Ricky, to a job well done, a great watch and photos to match. Thumbs up! (n/t)

PN308April 02, 2011 01:07PM

Love the new combo, Rickster! Might fineHairy Wrist Shot inside!too!Clapping! (n/t)

itschris297April 01, 2011 04:05AM

Looks GREAT! It's a perfect match Ricky! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool (n/t)

cmoy304March 31, 2011 01:12PM

Great !!! Cheers! (n/t)

IF283March 31, 2011 07:54AM

Good job and result Ricky Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto299March 31, 2011 06:26AM

Looking good RL Thumbs Up for the Oyster combo (n/t)

JP323March 31, 2011 03:49AM

Oh, Ricky. That's a solid looking combo. Very nice! Thumbs Up (n/t)

Anonymous User286March 31, 2011 03:45AM

Very nice Ricky! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up (n/t)

Wen381March 31, 2011 03:13AM

Hey, weren't you going to wait a couple of weeks? Laughing Laughing (n/t)

Anonymous User272March 31, 2011 02:55AM

Looking good together, and nicely synchonised too Thumbs up! Jpeg Attachments

Anonymous User305March 31, 2011 02:50AM

The fact that they were within 1 sec of being in synch was pure luck. Innocent

Anonymous User320March 31, 2011 03:28PM

Cool pic Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto301March 31, 2011 02:23PM

Andrew, were YOU standing on your head, or was the photagrapher? Laughing (n/t)

JFK3531356March 31, 2011 11:30AM

I believe I was crouching down.... Jpeg Attachments

Anonymous User288March 31, 2011 02:30PM

I fully exect to see one of those 6309's on a mesh bracelet someday. wink

Chris L392March 31, 2011 02:34AM

It could certainly happen! Smile

Anonymous User311March 31, 2011 03:23PM

What!?! A bracelet on an RL watch? What's the world coming to? Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off (n/t)

MCV332March 31, 2011 02:23AM

I am confused I consider myself "a bracelet guy"!

Anonymous User292March 31, 2011 03:14PM

Very nice RL. You put a lot into it and it is appreciated.Thumbs up! (n/t)

ErikP314March 31, 2011 02:16AM

Great photos once again! Thumbs up! Cheers! (n/t)

Need_Omega292March 31, 2011 02:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates