Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Hopeful First Time Watch Mod

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
March 08, 2013 04:18PM
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if I even know that I'm asking the right question. I recently became interested in going beyond looking at my mechanical watches, and want to dive inside of them. However, I don't have any non-working watches that I'm willing to sacrifice to science.

I attempted to purchase a non-working vintage Vostok Amphibia on the bay to toy with, because I know that parts are readily available. However, someone stole it out from under me at 3:30am!

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive watch with readily available parts, so that I could run the gamut on it - replace the bezel, gaskets, crystal, and maybe, if I man-up a little, toy around with the movement itself. What I DON'T have, is a ton of money! (That's why getting the Vostok for around $15 was my first choice!)

Any suggestions for types/styles/brands of mechanical watches to look that would offer lots mod options, but that won't break the bank?

(P.S. - I swear that I did some searching both here and on WUS before asking, and didn't find much. I do research for a living, but can't manage to make the search functions on either site be nice to me!)

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer!

-Kevin
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Hopeful First Time Watch Mod

Kevin_D446March 08, 2013 04:18PM

Huh? Perhaps your research skills are far beyond mine>>

Dave M236March 09, 2013 03:35AM

Sorry for the confusing description! Frowning Jpeg Attachments

Kevin_D221March 09, 2013 07:09PM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates