Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Bulova Snorkel Bezel Restoration

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
September 02, 2012 11:14PM
Picture of Bulova w/o bezel

double lip on top of case w/crystal retaining wire groove

pic taken after first cuts were taken to make inner double lip to seat bezel flush on the case. Note how crown is pulled all the way out to setting position because bezel is too wide, and coin edge extends all the way down past crown

Before cutting started. Note depth of ratchet teeth and outer lip of bezel

Note length of coin edge bezel

Bottom of bezel has been shave flat, and starting to cut clearance bevel for double lip on top of case.

After cutting double lip, refit and found retaining grooves in case and bezel were still not lined up. So had to cut bottom of bezel, check fit, cut double lip bevel, check fit, check grooves, and back and forth, keeping in mind that if I cut too much for the double lip, there won't be a bottom lip to the groove to hold the retaining wire on the bezel.

Bezel bottom cut flat and flush to case. Time to work on the outer diameter of the bezel. Shaved down the sides till it didn't look so bulky.

Then studied the shape of the crown, and design of the bezel, and decided I would cut a bevel the bottom of the bezel to clearance and match the inner end of the crown, and it would also match the top bevel on the bezel. And then shaved the bottom of the bezel horizontal to the case for a straight clean 90 degree wall.

Made a few retaining wires till I had the right gauge, and shape. The hardest thing was waiting for the new inserts to arrive from the Philippines. Almost a month. Phil liked the Black, so here it is.

Hope you enjoyed the show. Thanks for checking out the post. Smile

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 11:41PM by Jose5.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bulova Snorkel Bezel Restoration Jpeg Attachments

Jose51182September 02, 2012 11:14PM

Awesome work! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cool (n/t)

cmoy210September 05, 2012 02:16AM

Thank you Chris! (n/t)

Jose5184September 07, 2012 04:50AM

Gorgeous! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

Need_Omega197September 04, 2012 07:33PM

Thank you Alex (n/t)

Jose5122September 07, 2012 04:49AM

WOW! I love it when something is restored to working state and looks like it belongs! Smile (n/t)

James T. KirkĀ©186September 04, 2012 09:43AM

Thanks Jim! (n/t)

Jose5197September 07, 2012 04:48AM

Thumbs up! Thanks for all the pics Jose, great work! (n/t)

BobbyMike159September 03, 2012 03:57AM

Thanks, BobbyMike

Jose5141September 04, 2012 03:04AM

Definitely my pleasure! Cheers! (n/t)

BobbyMike186September 04, 2012 04:00AM

Wow, great Resto work, Jose! You're getting better with that lathe. (n/t)

Dave M206September 03, 2012 03:05AM

Thanks Dave, After your info on the tolerances

Jose5189September 03, 2012 03:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates