Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

My DIY Bead Blast project...

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 30, 2011 09:51PM
My DIY bead blast project...

Before:

After:

Materials:
1. Abrasive Blast Gun with Bag: Harbor Freight $14.99
2. Glass Bead Blast Media, 80 grit: Harbor Freight $10.00 approx. (can't remember actual cost, but the 220 grit aluminum oxide which I didn't use yet cost $10)
3. Old Vostok Amphibian from eBay: $17

Materials:

I got these materials months ago, but I finally put them to use this weekend. For a blast booth, I made one from a used cardboard moving box. For the window and hand holes, i just fut opening in the box and covered them with plastic painters drop cloth from a home store.

Pic Box booth:

How I did it:
Bezel: The bezel is a base metal, and the chrome was coming off all over. I took off the bezel. After I balsted it it had a dull tan finish, which looked god, and I almost kept it. However, I used Krylon Satin Black spray paint to coat it. It looks good, and at some point I will paint the numbers and PIP with lume or just paint.

Case:
1. Crystal: I left the crystal in place and covered it with a piece of brown plastic packing tape for some protection, which worked very well. I wasn't worried about the crystal since it is old and has many hairline cracks in it, and I plan to replace it anyway. Also, I was worried that I would ruin the water resistance if I blasted the part of the case that seats agianst the crystal, so in it stayed.

2. Case: I left the caseback on, as well as the crown screwed in. I didn't want to blast any of the threads, fearing that I would ruin them.

Results:
It looks great! I got the finish that I expected from the 80 grit glass bead blast media. It is a very dull/flat finish. I am pleased with the results, and you can't beat the price. The cardboard blast booth works well, and I am able to recover most of the media by brushing it out and back into the original container.

What's left to do:
1. Movement: This was originally a non-working eBay buy, which I got working. Although, it now runs, it doesn't keep good time at all, and runs at different speeds depending on which position it is in. So I need to either regulate the movement, or replace it. ANyone know of a cheap quartz that would fit? Any thoughts?
2. Dial: The dial looks bad, and it is scratched, so I intend to replace it or paint it.
3. Hands: they look bad. I will either paint and relume them, or replace them.

I welcome any suggestions or comments.
-Chet
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My DIY Bead Blast project... Jpeg Attachments

surfcjw1761July 30, 2011 09:51PM

If you wanted to put a brand new Vostok movement, you could do it for $45 URL

JFK3531374August 19, 2011 04:16AM

Love it! Cheers! (n/t)

VoodooDance239August 07, 2011 08:21PM

Cool DIY. Thumbs Up I do want to take this opportunity>>

Anonymous User271August 01, 2011 02:28AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates