Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Round 2 of eagle watching.

Chris L  
Current mood:
January 28, 2013 08:15PM
My previous expedition was on an overcast morning, with warmer than average temperature. Made for low numbers of birds and forcing me to use higher ISO.

Last Saturday was clear, the week before was very cold (meaning more frozen-over water). Packed my gear and headed for the dam a Prairie du Sac once again.

Some mist on the Wisconsin River. This is an eagle hotspot because the hydro-electric dam just upriver prevents this area of the river from freezing over. The open water means food for the eagles, and they will concentrate in very large numbers here to hunt. Nikon D7000, Tamron 18-270mm lens

Switched to my 500mm reflex lens, took this next series all handheld on manual focus. Actually just lucky with finding the right distance to pre-focus the lens right before this. This is a bald eagle, maybe only 1 or 2 years old.

And breakfast is served.

Moved locations, now the 500mm reflex lens on tripod focused on a tree on an island in the middle of the river.

Moving location again, this very near the highway and the birds attracted a lot of tourist's attention all parked at the curb and getting the close-up looks. I joined them. laughing Nikon 70-300mm zoom lens now, and handheld.

What 'r you lookin' at?

This one was down below on the ice, flew off just as I focused on him.

Same 70-300mm lens, shot out the window of my Jeep parked right next to the dam.

BTW, I didn't crop any of these pics. This is the field of view from the viewfinder.

I've been using the RAW+JPG option on the camera, writing the RAW and JPG files to separate SD cards. I discovered the hard way that my 16GB card that I was writing the RAW files to has defects. All the files above #105 on the day were unreadable. However the JPG's were written separately and the last 2 images are processed from jpg and not RAW. I already have a new 32GB class 10 card on the way and that 16GB card is landfill.

My 2014 photo calendar now available
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Round 2 of eagle watching. Jpeg Attachments

Chris L212January 28, 2013 08:15PM

Wow! Amazing pics and I surely like very much the subject! Bravo!Thumbs up!Smile (n/t)

IF105February 08, 2013 12:49PM

GREAT shots Chris! Thumbs Up Cool Last 2 are my favorites! Thumbs Up Cool (n/t)

cmoy97January 29, 2013 12:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates