Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Got the itch to upgrade my camera, and I've almost talked myself into it.

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Chris L  
Current mood:
January 14, 2013 03:59AM
OK, the recent attempt I made to photograph Jupiter just really nailed home something I was aware of for a long time. My Nikon D80 cameras (I have a pair of these bodies) have a serious problem at ISO settings above 400. I really avoid working above ISO 200 when I can. Hey, it was pretty good in 2007-2008 time, but by today's standards the high-ISO noise really has me behind the times.

I investigated the D800, and I like the idea of FX format and still be able to shoot with the DX lenses I have. The price tag is just way more than I want to go.

Now I am looking at the D7000. By all accounts, this is the natural upgrade for a D80 owner like me. Get's rave reviews, and especially is noted for the high-ISO performance being among the best of the APS-C sized sensors. Since nearly $3K for a full-frame format is not going to happen for me, that is good news.

If I act before the end of month, Amazon has a $300 discount from Nikon, so I can get a body only for under $900. I am concerned that the model is now over 2 years old and might be getting replaced with a new version soon. I've tried searching the rumor mills, but the thought is that the D7000 will not be replaced in 2013, and very late in the year if it is. I also have enough of my pre-Christmas overtime money to pay for half of that right now, with tax refund coming in a couple of months to handle the rest.

I know nobody will discourage me from this, but does this feel like the right time to buy if you were in my shoes?

My 2014 photo calendar now available
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Got the itch to upgrade my camera, and I've almost talked myself into it.

Chris L200January 14, 2013 03:59AM

I love my D7000 - depending on your needs you may want to have a look at the new D5200 too smile Jpeg Attachments

Micha119January 14, 2013 07:11PM

Despite the sensor, I think the D5200 would be a step-down.

Chris L101January 15, 2013 02:07AM

Absolutely agree >>

Dre93January 15, 2013 02:48PM

I felt the same as I was looking for a replacement for my Olympus E-30....

Micha81January 15, 2013 08:31AM

Chris, B&H has it for $897 till Feb 2nd... URL

cmoy115January 14, 2013 02:53PM

I've had much the same thoughts

Dre97January 14, 2013 02:52PM

Micha bought a D7000 recently (see posts below) and he is very pleased with it (n/t)

Jan122January 14, 2013 01:05PM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates