Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Finally, my review of the Christopher Ward C60

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
July 07, 2013 04:12AM
Greetings friends! I haven't been posting a whole ton lately, between busy work and busy home life with Little Man, turns out not much time is left for photographing. I've been wearing the C60 for probably close to a month now, and I just finally got some time to snap some good pics of the watch.

A little background first. Marc (MCV) and I were going back and forth quite a bit, both of us had various issues with the C60. His are well documented in his excellent review (click here). I won't go over all the details of the watch that he describes so well, instead I'll focus on my experience and thoughts on the watch.

Like Marc, I was very excited by the C60, particularly the blue one. I love wave dial watches, and the blue one looked to be very similar to the electric blue Omega Seamaster that I'd always thought looked incredible. With this one being far more reasonably / PMWF friendly priced, I bought one.

Christopher Ward shipped very quickly, and not too long after my order the electric blue C60 on a bracelet arrived. No pictures of the watch as I didn't keep this one (more later). Nice enough bracelet at first look, oyster design with brushed outsides and polished centers. Like Marc, I had extreme difficulty resizing the bracelet. It took an incredible amount of force to pull the pins out, but after much sweating and cursing, I did get it resized. Then the fun starts.

At least with my watch, one end of the bracelet was incredibly difficult to fit back to the watch. One side just clicked in and the spring bar seated. On the other end of the bracelet, I had to force the spring bar end into the hole on the lug, practically bending the spring bar to get it to seat. Not good.

Second strike against the bracelet - it suffers from a design flaw. There's 5 micro adjustment holes on the clasp. Only 3 of them are usable because of how the diver's extension folds into the clasp. At this price point, this is unacceptable.

Third strike against the bracelet - the clasp itself was quite rattly. The release mechanism in the clasp itself made quite a bit of noise, even when the watch is clasped shut and on the wrist. Examining the clasp, you could see that the release mechanism wasn't solidly attached to the clasp shell itself.

And the final strike against the watch as a whole - the bezel. There was a fair amount of play in the bezel. I could turn it a bit in both directions before any resistance was felt, enough to get it to not line up with the markers. The bezel itself is unidirectional, but the looseness was more than I could accept.

So here I was all excited to get a watch I thought was going to thrill me to death, only to find a fair number of niggling faults on it. In the end I decided to send it back and exchange it for a new watch with the leather strap instead of the bracelet. Christopher Ward was great to work with, they accepted the return with no questions asked, refunded my postage to them, and upgraded the return shipment to express. The return shipment would have come during my trip to Europe, so I had them hold the dispatch until I was close to returning. They gladly did that, and sent it such that the watch arrived the day after we returned from Europe.

So after all the niggling faults of the watch why didn't I just walk away and go for something different? The dial. The blue one is stunning. It looks different from every angle, and every bit of light will make the watch look different. Dead on in flat light, it looks like a nice flat blue with a wave pattern on it:

But as soon as some more direct light hits it, particularly in sunshine, there's a wonderful banding effect on the dial. Bands of blue interspersed with bands of white. Really cool to look at:

Lume on the watch is OK. It's not really bright (the pic makes it look brigher than it is), but it does last a good long time.

The leather strap that came with the watch is fairly high quality. Geniune leather, stamped with CW on the inside, and a decent aligator print on the outside. Curved fitted ends sit very flush to the case, with no wiggle between the case & strap ends. We'll see how much of a PITA it will be to re-fit that strap to the watch. But it does look quite sharp.

The strap itself is curved nicely, so no real break-in required to get it to be comfortable. It came with a double fold deployment clasp. The clasp itself is OK, but could be better. It certainly works and looks decent. But the pin that sticks through the strap itself isn't deep enough to get all the way through the strap:

(the faint straight marks next to the hole are nail prints, me trying to force the strap on a bit tighter). Does it work? Sure. Is it secure? Should be secure enough. Though certainly not as secure as for example the Stowa deployment strap, where a screw is used to secure the deployment to the leather strap. Or the Omega deployment where the pin of the deployment is long enough to fully go through the strap.

The bezel on the new one is much better than the one I sent back. It does have the tiniest amount of play in the bezel itself, but much better than the original one I sent back.

Performance wise, no complaints. Loses 3 or 4 seconds a day, and I'm guessing I can control that a bit with how I leave the watch overnight (dial up / down or crown up / down). Haven't experimented with that enough, but overall no issues with the accuracy of the watch.

With the difference in price between the strap and bracelet versions, I picked up a few other tidbits to alter the look of the watch. First, a nice, and decidedly more casual, blue strap with white stitching from Panatime:

And a Shark Mesh bracelet:

The stubbiness of the lugs that Marc points out in his review is very apparent with the shark mesh bracelet, though personally I kinda like it. It lets the watch and bracelet sit on the wrist very nicely as the bracelet curves down right away. Plus it's a unique look that nobody else has. With how watches are all copying stylistic ideas from each other, having something unique is not a bad thing if you ask me. Anyhow, the shark mesh is quite comfortable, and will fit a number of 22mm lugged watches.

So overall I agree with Marc that the Christopher Ward C60 is a decent watch. Some details could be executed better. But overall the watch is solidly built, and for me, the dial makes it a winner.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Finally, my review of the Christopher Ward C60 Jpeg Attachments URL

Dre930July 07, 2013 04:12AM

Nice review and watch Andrej. I will move this to the reviews forum a bit later. Thank you Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto75July 08, 2013 12:49PM

Excellent review! Thank you! Thumbs up! (n/t)

DanB51July 07, 2013 04:55PM

Very nice, objective coverage! Was looking forward to this. Thank you! (n/t)

Riddim Driven80July 07, 2013 02:13PM

A shame about the first, but glad it worked out. Thumbs up! (n/t)

Robmks55July 07, 2013 02:01PM

Nice job, Dre....Clapping!

MCV56July 07, 2013 11:27AM

Would be nice to incorporate into your review, as a Guest ContributorSmile

Riddim Driven54July 07, 2013 02:16PM

Very nice watch indeed, very good topic and review! SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF56July 07, 2013 10:29AM

Thanks for the very nice review, Andrej! Thumbs up! (n/t)

benhemp42July 07, 2013 05:12AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates