Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

It's a happy day, a new watch arrived Alpha Radiomir Chrono China Made Watch or Movement Watch or Accessory Review

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
June 26, 2011 04:30AM
I'll get straight to the point: this watch is incredible value for money.

Pictorial at the bottom of this post, in case you want to skip ahead.

For $150 shipped from Alpha HK, you get:

Case

Well finished stainless steel, polished case, based on an old Radiomir design (the model only had a run of 10 pieces, if my research is accurate). Not sure why - I think it's stunning.

Case width is 42.5mm (excluding crown).

Transparent case back.

No scratches, as far as I can tell - the whole thing gleams.

Crystal

I am amazed by this, but apparently the stunning domed crystal atop the watch is sapphire crystal. At $150! Awesome.

The only issue is that there appears to be little to no AR coating, hence my almost complete inability to take a decent frontal shot of the watch.

Movement

Specs: Seagull SG2903 20-jewels Hand Winding 30-min. chronograph movement + blued screws (check out the photos - fantastic).

Power reserve is stated as 42 hours. I haven't tested this yet, but it hasn't stopped on me yet.

The seconds hand sweeps smoothly and the chronograph hands reset cleanly to zero.

Winding is very smooth - not gritty at all. I have read that this movement is actually very high quality, so that makes sense.

I seriously like the design of the movement - quite the conversation piece, with its blued screws, golden wheels and patterned (forgotten the WIS term) surfaces.

Dial

I really like the design.

The green and black complement each other well, without detracting from what is a really classy, 1950s, dressy look.

I particularly like the shape of the sub-dial hands.

Strap

Specs: 24mm lug width.

Surprisingly good - very supple, good quality leather, from what I can tell.

Not sure about strap changes - I have read that the wire lugs are actually just punched in (as opposed to screwed), so there is a high likelihood that you will strip the holes where the wire lugs connect to the case if you try and take them out. You would then have to re-drill the holes, which might damage the case.

Not worth it, IMO, for a watch at this price point that comes with a decent strap.

Lume

Generously applied, particularly on the hands. Although it looks like Alpha has installed a sandwich dial, the lume on the numbers starts of quite dim.

Brightness fades relatively quickly, but it looks great when the lume is first charged.

Misc Specs

Water Resistance: 3ATM (30m) - try not to get this thing wet Laughing

Lugs to lugs: 45mm

Weight: 95g

Thickness: 15.5mm

Conclusion

Stunning watch for the money and far, far higher quality than I would have anticipated.

I've received more comments on this than I have anything other than the Speedmaster Pro (had to throw that in Laughing - I'm still excited!).

I highly recommend the Alpha Rad; but just be aware of some of my comments above (especially re the strap).

Photos

First is a seller photo; the rest are mine.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

It's a happy day, a new watch arrived Alpha Radiomir Chrono China Made Watch or Movement Watch or Accessory Review

nkwatchy5695June 26, 2011 04:30AM

Re: It's a happy day, a new watch arrived Alpha Radiomir Chrono China Made Watch or Movement Watch or Accessory Review (n/t)

Anonymous User625September 16, 2011 02:14PM

Administrators please PMWF Museum please! (n/t)

Anonymous User181September 16, 2011 02:03PM

Re: Administrators please PMWF Museum please! (n/t)

Anonymous User139September 16, 2011 02:09PM

Great choice! That one's on my list for the future! Thumbs up!Thumbs up! (n/t)

Need_Omega188June 26, 2011 09:33PM

looks great, also nice to see the style <45-47mm (n/t)

Cleans Up213June 26, 2011 08:50PM

Great job! Clapping! Image Attachments

Anonymous User189June 26, 2011 04:47PM

Thanks! However, I'm still not completely clear re the lugs... URL

nkwatchy281June 26, 2011 05:01PM

A picture is worth 1,000 words. Jpeg Attachments URL

Anonymous User314June 26, 2011 06:08PM

Oh awesome, thanks for taking the time to clarify that! (n/t)

nkwatchy223June 27, 2011 03:47AM

I have one and did change the strap. Image Attachments

StefG366June 26, 2011 06:03PM

Ah brilliant, so it can be done. Thanks Smile that gives me hope. (n/t)

nkwatchy220June 27, 2011 03:48AM

Re: I put mine back i with some thread locking adhesive..

Anonymous User230June 26, 2011 06:15PM

yup...the low strength stuff....LOL (n/t)

StefG188June 26, 2011 08:17PM

Makes me wish I had smaller wrists - beautiful! Thumbs up! (n/t)

JY207June 26, 2011 05:11AM

Thanks! Hmm, it does wear bigger than 42.5mm, so it should be fine Wink (n/t)

nkwatchy174June 26, 2011 02:35PM

Really nice thank You! (n/t)

DRFP190June 26, 2011 04:36AM

Wow, looks great!!!! Thumbs up! (n/t)

F1SportsFan203June 26, 2011 04:35AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates