Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Here's My REVIEW of the SUG Boost Automatic Diver >>>

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
August 21, 2008 12:12AM
PMWF related post Review of the SUG ?Boost? Automatic Diver?s Watch

I have been an enthusiastic supporter of SUG watches ever since I read Larry K?s post about the SUG diver he picked up on Ebay this spring. I became intrigued and started searching and learning more about this brand. If you believe all the hype and b.s. on their web site, they are steeped in rich Swiss watch making history. Steeped alright, but there is nothing Swiss about this model. Some SUGs have Swiss Ronda quartz movements in them, although I don?t know if they are the made-in-Switzerland movements or the ones made in Thailand.
Anyways, I have purchased five SUGs since Larry?s post and have been suitably impressed with this brand. I kind of refer to them as my replacement for Invicta, because they seem to have many of the same attributes (lots of features for the price) along with better quality and not as ugly designs.
The Boost model I am reviewing here is the only SUG I own with an automatic movement.
Model: SUG Boost black dial with red/black bezel. The Boost Series also comes in a yellow dial with yellow/black bezel and a blue dial with blue/red ?Pepsi? style bezel

Date Purchased: Bought new, June, 2008
Purchase Price: approximately $60 (including shipping). Don?t pay attention to the ridiculous MSRP of $2,295!

The Boost Series is the ?classic? diver style, along the lines of a Rolex or any number of other diver watches styled after the original. The Boost is housed in a heavy, very nicely finished polished solid stainless steel case with a screw-down stainless steel case back.

Each watch has an individual serial number laser etched on the case back. The case measures a perfect 40mm in diameter, without the crown. Lug width is a proportional and nice 20mm. Thickness of the watch is about 14mm.
The heart of the watch is a Seagull TY-2846 automatic movement, made in China. Power reserve has been listed around 43 hours. I have not checked the power reserve exactly on my watch, but the 43 hour figure seems accurate. This movement beats at 21,600 and has 21 jewels. It hacks and manual winds. The second hand sweeps smoothly.
I have done rough accuracy checks and it has run anywhere from a few seconds to 20 seconds fast per day, which is in keeping with ETA-based Swiss watches I have (Tissot Seastar and PRS 516 models in particular). I find no faults with the movement and think it winds with a good feel and runs well.
The dial on this watch is very nice. A deep black (some might call it ?inky? black) with a good gloss. The hands are listed as ?super luminous? (whatever that truly means), but the lume is nothing to write home about. Very average. I like the shape and style of the hour and minute hands and the second hand is rather unique. It is a plain stick style, but is painted red, except of a strip of white a couple of mms from the tip. The white part makes the second hand easily readable and gives it a unique look which I have not seen on any other watch.

The dial is imprinted at the six o?clock position with ?20 atm, professional diver.? Whether this watch could survive 20 atms of pressure remains to be seen, especially after Jake?s recent disclosure with Invicta?s 8926 crystal gasket.
There is also a black non-adjustable 24-hour hand that tracks the time. This hand has a red tip and is a bit hard to see against the black dial. There is also a ring of 24 hour arabics in red that the 24-hour hand points to. Again, a bit hard to read, but subtle at the same time.

The crystal is sapphire (all the SUGs I have purchase have sapphire crystals). A cyclops is installed over the date window at the three o?clock position. While I am not a big fan of cyclops, I really don?t mind this one, maybe because the date wheel aligns in its window perfectly and nothing looks out of line. The date wheel is white with black numbers. The date is quickset through the crown.

The crown on the Boost has a nice spring tension to it and screws down in about 1-1/2 to 2 turns. It is not signed (I wish it was, as I like signed crowns). The case has substantial crown guards on both sides of the crown.

The bezel is red and black, with the red portion running from ?0? to ?15? and black running from ?15? to ?0?. A lume ?pip? or dot protrudes at the ?0? spot on the bezel. So far, the lume dot is staying put and hasn?t fallen out! The bezel is unidirectional and is a 120 click, which gives it a nice feel. It turns without too much pressure and has a bit of backlash or play.

The bracelet is a real nice part of this watch. Solid links, polished and brushed, the links are held in place with screws, not pins. I?m not a huge fan of screwed link pins, but these seem to be acceptably accurate and haven?t loosened up or stripped out.
The style of the links is such that there is more ?play? to the links than with some other bracelet types, due to there being a bit more room between each individual link. Not a big deal, but some may like or may dislike this style.

The end links are hollow/folded (points off, especially with such a nice bracelet). The clasp is double locking and laser etched with ?SUG.? The deployant is machined and is marked ?stainless steel 316L China.? Big points for the machined deployant, it gives this watch a higher end look and feel.

I received this watch with a generic presentation box and a cardboard outer box and a SUG plastic hang tag. No instructions or warranty card/info.
In summary, the SUG Boost diver is a solid watch and really can?t be beat for the price. How long term reliability and quality will play out remains to be seen, but for now, I enthusiastically endorse this watch. It has a combination of features not usually found at this price point and is something you can wear in a variety of situations without worrying about anything and knowing the other guy probably won?t have a SUG on his wrist.
Plusses: classic styling, great price, sapphire crystal, automatic movement that hacks and manual winds, deep black dial, nice bracelet and case
Minuses: weak lume, no SELs, unsigned crown, long term quality?
Overall rating: **** (four) jewels (out of five ***** jewels)

Submitted: August 20, 2008
By: Marc (MCV) subdials@hotmail.com
Any comments or questions are welcome!
Thanks for reading.
-Marc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 10:46AM by Reto.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Here's My REVIEW of the SUG Boost Automatic Diver >>> Image Attachments

MCV7456August 21, 2008 12:12AM

PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates