Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Watch or Accessory Review : Wenger S.A.K. Design

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
Anonymous User
May 29, 2011 02:19AM
Another in the series detailing Marc's Dad's WIS Honeymoon legacy to the WIS community.

Bit of a story here. The whacking great box Marc sent to Ricky Lee's Home For Wayward Wristwatches contained another box deep inside, sealed in it's own Ziploc baggie. Mostly spare bracelet links, a few extra straps, etc. But also a couple of watches in various stages of disrepair. Obviously this was The Boneyard Box. Wink

One watch, a field watch, really stood out. It was in decent shape, but was sans bracelet, no springbars even. So I pull the crown out to click 1, and the date quick-sets A-OK. I pull it out to click 2, and the time set seems alright, too. "Hmmm" I think "got to be a dead module, or it'd never be in this box. Bad coil, probably.". So I pull the back off, and note there's no cell inside. "Aha! Dead module alright" I say to meself.

But I have to try, right? So the next step is determining what battery is required. My 'tool' here is a wee baggie full of dead batteries, one of every popular size. By test-fitting these deaders, I determine that this movement wants a 397 cell. So I take a fresh 397 out of stores and WooHOO! Thumbs up! It ticks!

Now I'm confused as hell as to why this watch is in the box. But I cheerfully set the time against the Atomic Clock and.. Uh-oh. Oops! When I get to 10 the hour hand stops moving, though the minute hand continues and, worse, there's a sick 'stripped gear' sound and feel coming from the action. I am crying

So I think "What would Dave Murphy WIS Honeymoon do?" Sure! Strip 'er down and fix it!

I have the watch disassembled in a trice. The movement proves to be an 805-series. Hmmmmm. I've got a couple of dead ETA 805s in the boneyard! A little rummaging produces a dead 805-144, and I quickly swap in the drive gears, install the battery, set the crown and.. BzzzzzzzzzzzT! Frowning This ain't gonna work. So much for ETA Parts Interchangeability! I am angry!

I'm buttonning it up in preparation to chunking it back in the Boneyard Box when I think "Wait. Don't I have a brand-new 11 1/2 Ligne ETA in stock?" A quick check of my meticulously cataloged (honest, I got a spreadsheet and everything! Smile) parts inventory reveals..

Yes! A brand-spanking new ETA 805-124, which I bought for a Tom Swift Quartz Conversion on a dead Pobeda day-date auto. Alas, not even Tom Swift hits a homer every time at bat, and that project proved to be close-but-no-cigar unworkable. Didn't really seem worth sending a $12 movement back, so I held onto it, knowing it'd come in handy someday. And today's the day! Is Happy Day!

From there 'twas Easy As Pie. The movement mated with the dial perfectly, as did the OEM hands and, aside from the seconds hand fouling on the minutes (easy fix!), there was no drama whatsoever. 12 hours on, the watch is keeping perfect time, so I declare The Operation A Success.

What's that you say? "Enough blathering Ricky! I am angry! Show us photos of the watch already!"

OK! OK! Oops! Here ye are:

Click HERE for larger photo or HERE for supersized photo

Cute li'l fella, huh? Rationally-sized at 35mm X 41mm X 9.5mm, with 19mm lugs.

I have no idea what "S.A.K Design" is.. maybe an L.E. of some sort. I'll research it by-and-by, but if anyone wants to volunteer an explanation, I'd be most appreciative for saving me the trouble. Smile

The screw-down caseback was missing a gasket but, sure, I had one in stock. Base metal bezel, but the back is very nearly pristine, so it's got beaucoup life left in it.

Click HERE for larger photo or HERE for Mega-sized photo

19mm lugs are a bit of a sticky wicket, requiring a choice of under-strapping with an 18, or over-strapping with a 20. Obviously, I chose the latter course of action. Smile

I got to say it wears Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8! WIS Honeymoon

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased. No, the 805-124 wasn't the perfect movement, being a Day-Date. But it's what I had on hand and, if y'all won't tell anybody there's a Day wheel hiding under the Date dial, neither will I. Laughing The style - classic Swiss Field Watch - is one of my favorites. And, sure, I have a few similar in the collection already. But none that say "S.A.K. Design"! So, until I can ascertain exactly what that means, I'm gonna assume it's Something Special. Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off

Thanks for readin'.

Cheers!

-Ricky

Live long and prosper.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2011 02:14PM by Ricky Lee.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Watch or Accessory Review : Wenger S.A.K. Design Image Attachments

Anonymous User6346May 29, 2011 02:19AM

Nice save, but I'm a little disappointed that >>

Anonymous User311May 30, 2011 03:51AM

Re: ..the drive gears would not swap out. Crazy! Loco! Strange that they would not.

Anonymous User301May 30, 2011 01:19PM

Do you have a magnetic Quartz mover? Basically a Demagnetizer with a special setting to >>> Jpeg Attachments

Reto436May 30, 2011 07:35PM

Great read and even better work! Wonderful job Ricky! (n/t)

jacobo256May 29, 2011 02:45PM

Great hand set there Thumbs up! (n/t)

Need_Omega191May 29, 2011 02:12PM

Nice save Thumbs Up (n/t)

JP234May 29, 2011 01:04PM

Great review with movement information Ricky (marked for Watch Reviews) (n/t)

Reto200May 29, 2011 10:09AM

A very nice Swiss classic!!!SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF310May 29, 2011 09:38AM

Great job, RL! Clapping! (n/t)

MCV250May 29, 2011 05:59AM

My guess is S.A.K. = Swiss. Army. Knife. Image Attachments

Jimmy50335May 29, 2011 03:57AM

Doh. Oops! That's a very good guess, I'm thinkin'. Laughing

Anonymous User281May 30, 2011 12:59PM

I wonder whether S.A.K. is still used after the merger of Victorinox and Wenger. And so >>>

Reto328May 29, 2011 10:14AM

Yeah.....ya nailed it right on the head!!! (n/t)

dano0257May 29, 2011 05:10AM

I know S.A.K. Design was designated to very EARLY wenger models....

dano0444May 29, 2011 03:45AM

Thanks dano for your continuing sharing of the service center performances, very much appreciated Thumbs Up (n/t)

Reto231May 30, 2011 06:32AM

Nice save man smile (n/t)

Ed Brandwein230May 29, 2011 02:54AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates