Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

It's a happy day, a new watch arrived SDT00002W Orient 60th Anniversary Watch Watch or Accessory Review

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
October 31, 2010 06:40PM
Earlier this year Orient announced they would be issuing a limited edition anniversary watch commemorating their 60th anniversary. A few weeks ago pictures of this watch started showing up on the web, along with info that Orient Watch USA is selling the watch. The description and pictures of the watch put it right up my alley - simple, distinct and elegant looking, not crazy big, and most importantly - handwinding! After seeing the price with one of Orient's discount coupons, I pulled the trigger. Now that it's in my hands, let me just say WOW!

Specifications

SDT00002W 60th Anniversary Watch
Movement: Orient caliber 48N40 Hacking Handwinding + Power Reserve indicator, 21600 BPH
Material: Stainless Steel
Crystal: Domed, presumed mineral
Diameter: 39 mm
Thickness: 11.6 mm
Lugs: 20 mm
MSRP: $480

Packaging

The watch comes in a rather understated cardboard box, though it is nicely marked and with 60th Anniversary text. The font of the text is a nice cursive script, which will be seen quite a bit as you read on.

Opening the lid, we find the paperwork that the watch is supplied with: International Guarantee card, instruction manual, and an International Guarantee booklet. Guarantee is for 1 year. Once again, all 3 pieces have the same cursive Orient 60th Anniversary text on them.

OK, let's get the paperwork out of the way and dig further. Peeling back the protective paper we find a very nice wood looking box, again with the engraved cursive Orient 60th Anniversary text on it. While I'm sure the box is made out of plastic, it does have a very high quality feel to it.

OK, enough already with the teasing shots, open it up and show us the goods!

Nice felt lined interior of the box, with clips to hold the watch. Since those clips theoretically could allow the watch to slide out, the watch came with a sheet of protective plastic over the crown and right side of the watch. Interesting touch, I'd never seen a watch delivered that way. Again, the cursive Orient 60th Anniversary logo can be seen on the lid of the interior of the box:

The Watch

OK, let's pull it out and take a closer look at this stunning piece. The watch is all dial, with no real bezel to speak of. Applied polished markers, and polished dauphine hands are the first thing that catch your eye. Small date portal lives at 3 o'clock, also with a polished applied border. Underneath the dial we have the same cursive, vintage cursive Orient 60th Anniversary text. The top of the dial shows the power reserve indicator. The overall impression is of a vintage watch with slightly more modern (aka bigger) size. 39mm puts it right in my personal sweet spot of 39-41mm.

As we look at the dial more closely, more details start coming out. First is that the entire dial is curved along the edge, as are the applied markers. It's a gentle curve that's easy to overlook, but brings a touch of distinction to the watch. Much like the pie-pan Omega Constellations of the 60's.

Next, we have the power reserve indicator between 11 and 1. The power reserve almost seems to be Orient's signature complication because so many of their watches have it. I've never been a huge fan of the power reserve indicator, thinking that it unnecessarily clutters up a dial. This one is done very well though. The reserve indicator hand is polished as well, a mini dauphine hand if you will. It's quite unobtrusive and doesn't draw attention to itself.

The other detail that comes out as we look at the dial more closely is the subtle sunburst pattern. Subtle is the key word here, as in dark light the sunburst is not visible at all. Yet in brigher light, you see it quite clearly. To me this adds to the vintage charm of the entire watch. Sunburst dials just seem right on vintage watches.

(sorry for the dust spots!)

Turning the watch over, we see an engraved caseback, again with the same cursive Orient 60th Anniversary, along with a unique serial number as it's a limited edition. Mine still has its protective plastic on the back, along with a hologram sticker bearing the model number. The case back is a snap-on, perhaps one of the few niggles with this watch.

Movement

No, sorry I did not open the watch up to show you a picture of the movement, I'll just talk about it instead. The watch winds smootly with the crown, and it's quite neat to see the power reserve indicator go up as you wind it up. That's where the similarity with my other handwinders ends though. Unlike all my Unitas powered handwinders, which have a hard stop when you've finished winding it, this watch has an overwinding clutch. Once you've fully wound it you can keep turning the crown as if you're winding it, though the power reserve indicator will stay at 40 hours.

Another difference when compared with my other handwinders is that this movement is a fully hacking movement. The Unitas 6497 / 6498 are non hacking, meaning when you pull the crown out to set the time, the seconds hand keeps moving. With this watch, the seconds hand will stop, allowing you to precisely set it to an atomic clock (for example).

Lastly we have the date, which is a quick-set type. Easy to adjust by pulling out the crown 1 click and setting the right date. Just like most modern mechanical watches.

I don't have any performance / accuracy reports yet, the watch arrived recently and hasn't had any wrist time yet. More on that later.

All in all, it seems like we have a high quality automatic movement with the automatic winding rotor removed to keep the case thin. Perfect, as I prefer thinner watches to big & chunky!

Case & Crown

Staying true to it's vintage roots, the case and crown are fully polished. The crown is engraved with a cursive Orient logo, not quite enough room for the 60th Anniversary text! The only exception to the polish on the crown is the ribbed outer track for easy winding. The lugs have a gentle curve to them, and fit with the elegant style of this watch.

Staying with the vintage style we have a domed crystal that protrudes well above the case. I always like domed crystals as there's the neat distortions when you look at it from the side:

Orient specifies this as Domed Crystal Glass. I have not examined to see whether this is mineral or sapphire, at this price point I would not be surprised if it's mineral. Even if it's mineral crystal, it's still fantastic looking.

Strap

The watch comes with a black leather strap with a nice alligator print texture to it. Lug width is 20mm, and the strap tapers to 18mm at the buckle. The strap does have some padding to it, so I would call it a medium thickness strap. It feels like decent quality strap. Lengths are 80mm for the buckle end and 120mm for the other. It should fit a wide variety of wrists, though may not be quite long enough for ogre sized wrists like Ricky Lee's. Still, 20mm is a common lug size and should be quite easy to replace.

The buckle is engraved with the everpresent cursive Orient logo on it. Looks nice & simple.

(sorry for the dust & the blue reflection of the TV on it!)

The strap itself is stamped by the manufacturer - Orient Watch Co, LTD.

Wrist shots

Sorry, none yet! This watch is quite stunning and I want to keep it that way. I have a tendency to bang up my watches, particularly ones with domed crystals. This watch will not be worn at work, and will likely only make appearances at holidays & dress events. Having just received it I still keep it in it's original box. At some point it will make it out of the house, and when I do that I'll add some wrist shots. But for now sorry peeps!

Conclusion

For the price (Orient offers 50% off coupons to various watch forums, PMWF included) this is a stunning watch, full of vintage charm but with all the performance & features of a modern mechanical movement. It's certainly not styled for everybody, it goes in completely the opposite direction of today's watch styles which are trending ever bigger & ever chunkier. It's what I think of as normal sized, looks fantastic, and pays tribute to some of the great vintage dress watches of days gone by for a very affordable price. I, for one, am glad that one watch maker is willing to put out a watch like this, and am thrilled to have it in my collection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 10:01PM by Reto.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

It's a happy day, a new watch arrived SDT00002W Orient 60th Anniversary Watch Watch or Accessory Review Jpeg Attachments

Dre7250October 31, 2010 06:40PM

Very nice review (and watch!). Clapping! Jpeg Attachments

Anonymous User556November 03, 2010 11:48AM

Beautiful watch indeed Thumbs Up (n/t)

JP366November 01, 2010 06:33PM

Re: It's a happy day, a new watch arrived SDT00002W Orient 60th Anniversary Watch Watch or Accessory Review

houndoggie941November 01, 2010 03:44PM

Thanks! I was challenging to shoot

Dre258November 01, 2010 05:53PM

Congratulations, it is a beauty!

Smaug431November 01, 2010 04:41AM

Thank you! Other version is a gold case URL

Dre396November 01, 2010 05:55PM

Fantastic! Thumbs Up (n/t)

Nuvolari346November 01, 2010 02:53AM

Absolutely agreed, that's why it's in my collection! (n/t)

Dre456November 01, 2010 03:39AM

Elegante ! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up (n/t)

Don Fernando271November 01, 2010 01:44AM

Si! That's why I bought it! (n/t)

Dre447November 01, 2010 03:38AM

Very Nice Watch and pictures. Both are reall SharpLaughing (n/t)

Timemiser404November 01, 2010 12:26AM

I enjoyed taking the pictures, the watch is quite photogenic!

Dre292November 01, 2010 03:37AM

This Orient is truly a gem,congrats Andrej! Thumbs Up (n/t)

Bock277October 31, 2010 11:30PM

Agreed, glad Orient made it!

Dre416November 01, 2010 03:36AM

Congratulations Beautiful Orient. Thumbs up! Drooling (n/t)

DanB375October 31, 2010 10:43PM

Thank you! Absolutely agree! (n/t)

Dre312November 01, 2010 03:35AM

Great review of a beautiful watch. (n/t)

Brizza401October 31, 2010 10:08PM

Thanks! I was gonna let the pictures do the talking >>

Dre345November 01, 2010 03:34AM

I have added REVIEW to this great post's title and marked it for our archive clapping clapping (n/t)

Reto432October 31, 2010 10:02PM

Thank you! I'm honored to have this writeup archived! (n/t)

Dre395November 01, 2010 03:33AM

Well done modern interpretation of the classic dress watch type of years past. (n/t)

Paul J Costa534October 31, 2010 08:56PM

That's what drew me to it. (n/t)

Dre378November 01, 2010 03:32AM

Been waiting for a PMWF'er to get one of these!!! Clapping! Congrats!...

Riddim Driven587October 31, 2010 08:51PM

The strap is decent, though the watch is nice enough to warrant better

Dre320November 01, 2010 03:31AM

Congratulations ! A very good presentation of a very good watch !SmileThumbs up! (n/t)

IF413October 31, 2010 08:39PM

Thank you! (n/t)

Dre375November 01, 2010 03:30AM

Very Elegant! That crown shape is wonderful. (n/t)

StefG355October 31, 2010 08:38PM

Suits the watch perfectly

Dre321November 01, 2010 03:29AM

Beautiful! Thumbs Up Congrats! (n/t)

Anonymous User360October 31, 2010 07:51PM

Thanks, absolutely agree! (n/t)

Dre279November 01, 2010 03:28AM

congratulations, Dre, it looks great! clapping (n/t)

John N328October 31, 2010 07:46PM

Thanks, the looks definitely sold this watch! (n/t)

Dre357November 01, 2010 03:26AM

excellent! (n/t)

astrostrat89483October 31, 2010 07:37PM

Thanks! (n/t)

Dre301November 01, 2010 03:26AM

Quite superb, Dre, it's just about perfect, except for the snap on back!

MCV342October 31, 2010 07:03PM

Re: Quite superb, Dre, it's just about perfect, except for the snap on back!

Cleans Up366November 01, 2010 02:28AM

Agreed with both points

Dre362November 01, 2010 03:25AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail admin at pmwf.com for rates