Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages User List Top Users
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Advanced

Buffing out a sapphire Crystal! IT WORKED!!!!! A lot of

Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here? Your Ad here?
July 18, 2008 01:44PM
Hey all,
Some of you may recall I posted a short while back about a scratch that had magically appeared on my INVICTA Sapphire Ghost. I dont know how it got there, it was a souvenir from my Vegas vacation. (the scratch, not the watch) So anyways, I had some responses and decided to order up some Diamond paste. This seemed to be the only possible solution other then sending the watch out to Invicta for a crystal replacement. I was also pointed to a post on TZ where someone had already performed the operation with success.
Lets start here, the scratch......
Photobucket
I probably should have circled it however I think you can see it clearly enough.
In this pic you can see it on top of the hands. This scratch turned out to be more like a CHASM or Canyon apparently as far as Sapphires go......
Photobucket
I decided to tape off the edges of the crystal as I didnt want to risk getting this pink goopy stuff in any seems.
Photobucket
Now on to the past. I ordered up some 3 micron for the heavy lifting and a tube of .25 micron for the finish work. This was how the the other poster from TZ had done it so I figured I would follow suit.
Photobucket
I had read to use a finger to rub the crystal however I wanted to try a soft cotton cloth first (aka old t-shirt)
Photobucket
Turns out the cloth just absorbs the paste and doesn't do much. Therefore, I decided to go with the finger method. go figure hehe
Photobucket
Well this was the point I had figured out that my scratch was just laughing at me. I had the Grand Canyon of scratches it seems. I figured it was do or die and decided to break out the big guns.........
Photobucket
Hmmm, this seems to be working but not enough
Photobucket
I had originally started out with a small buffing wheel and used the slowest setting on the Dremel. This was working, but I would have been there all night and I wasnt happy with that. So I decided on some even BIGGER guns. I moved onto a larger buffing wheel. You can see the smaller wheel on the counter and the larger wheel on the head of the Dremel, It was about the diameter of a quarter and a little harder as well.
Photobucket
I had always been a fan of letting the speed of the Dremel do the work and refrained from using any pressure. However It seems this is not the case here. It wasnt until I decided to put some pressure that I started to get some real results. The paste started to heat up and thin out, it seems as if it was making a more even coat on the wheel and the crystal. NOW I WAS MOVIN! My only concern was the amout of heat it was creating. i had to stop every 20 seconds of so just to let things cool off. I wasnt sure what that kind of heat would do to either the crystal or the watch as a whole.
Photobucket
Well after about an hour and 45 minutes I finally had a clean scratch free Sapphire crystal again!!!! i was PSYCHED!! This time could have been cut in half if I had known what I was doing and didnt start off so gently.
It's kind of hard to take a picture of nothing but here it is....
Photobucket
...more nothing to see Laughing out loud!
Photobucket
I am wearing the watch today. I am also wearing some pink hands as well.
Photobucket
Even after multiple hand washings and a shower I am left with some pinkness on my hands. Oh well, I can tell its going away. Small price to pay for a "labor of Love" Laughing out loud! and better then dealing with INVICTA service!!!
Photobucket
More importantly, the watch cleaned up nicely. I actually used a bit of Windex and it looks as good as new!
Thanks for lookin'! I hope you enjoyed my first ever "walk though" I believe I should add this ....... Buff your sapphires at your own risk, I am not a pro, I didnt and still dont know what Im doing. For all I know I can have some kind of diamond poisoning on my hands now, I dont know Laughing out loud!
...and thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. I had no idea about diamond paste! Thumbs Up for this Watch .....let's see, what else can I buff out now?....."honey? let me see your engagement ring" hehe Laughing out loud!
-TommyFeds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 10:42AM by Reto.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Buffing out a sapphire Crystal! IT WORKED!!!!! A lot of Image Attachments

tommyfeds40815July 18, 2008 01:44PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
  PMWF.com Sponsors! Definitely worth your visit today!
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates
Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates Show your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for ratesShow your ad here! Mail reto at pmwf.com for rates